twenty

Nivea Joy Holmes

The 4th of July was in a couple of days, and I laid on my sofa with Kieran waiting on Dayvon to show up. We were supposed to be going to get some fireworks, I just wanted to go to a firework show but he'd put the idea in Kieran head, so he was all excited.

It was already going on 8, he needed to come on before all the stores was closed. I looked down seeing Kieran had fallen asleep on my legs. I figured Dayvon wouldn't be too much longer, so I decided I'd just rest my eyes a bit.

I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing. I quickly sat up seeing the sun coming up. 'Damn' I thought to myself. I answered the phone without looking just assuming it was Dayvon calling to explain himself.

"You have a collect call from Chicago State Prison, press 1 to accept."

I swear my heart stopped beating. I pressed 1 and gently moved Kieran off my legs and rushed to another room, closing the door.

"Lil folks you on here?"

"Dayvon!? What the fuck happened?!"

"I was on the way to your spot, got pulled over, they talm bout I got warrants. I'm already knowing that bitch ass nigga had something to do with this."

"What I need to do?"

"I probably aint gone be able to get out this bitch no time soon. They aint telling me nothing bout charges, court dates, nothing. I done already told gang and them to be watching y'all. Listen ma, I gotta hang up, be careful alright?"

"O-Okay...I love you Dayvon."

"I love you too lil folks, and don't get to doing all that crying, it's gone be alright."

The line went dead, and I just sat down on the bed. I felt so helpless in the situation. Muwop had taken Von's place for Friday tradeoffs, but Mason had cancelled 2 weekends in a row. It was like torture, getting all anxious awaiting his arrival only for him to never show.

I would try to go and visit Dayvon, but they weren't allowing him visitors, and he only got to call me about every 2-3 days. When they did finally reveal his charges they were all bullshit, I just wanted him to come home.

Friday rolled around once again, and I heard a knock at my door. "Damn Muwop you early." I said swinging the door open, shocked to see Mason standing there. I glanced back, seeing Peyton wasn't in the car waiting.

"Don't look so surprised Niv." He said with a smile. I could feel my heartbeat speeding up as I tried to control my breathing. "I don't got his bag packed yet Mason." I said, saying anything to try and get him to leave.

"That's alright, I just wanted to take him to the park. Come on son!" He yelled, making Kieran come and hug my leg. I felt sick at the thought of Kieran going with him alone. "I'm coming to the park with y'all." I said, "How fun, a family outing." Mason said. I shot him a look before stuffing my phone in my back pocket and picking up Kieran.

I closed and locked my door, walking down to Mason's car, putting Kieran in the car seat. As soon as I sat in the passenger seat I regretted it. I was staring out the window, ignoring the small talk Mason was trying to make with me.

"Nivea quit being a bitch." He said making me quickly turn to look at him "Don't call me out my name in front of my son Mason" I snapped back.

"You lucky I'm driving..." he mumbled making me roll my eyes, "Take us back home I'm not dealing with this shit today." I grabbed my phone about to call somebody.

He roughly grabbed my wrist making me wince in pain as it flew out of my hands. He took his eyes off the road to look at me intensely, it was that same empty look he always had in his eyes. I snatched myself free, looking at the bruise starting to form. This was bad...