eighteen

Nivea Joy Holmes

I sat in court anxiously awaiting the judge to get there. Mason looked strangely calm with all things considered. Soon the judge entered and glanced at his paperwork one final time before speaking.

"Good Afternoon. Ms. Holmes you did pass your home inspection and as previously decided you have been granted full custody of Kieran Krew Holmes." He stated making me smile.

"But I did receive a new report from the caseworker about Mr. Abrams. It states you've agreed to attend therapy for your anger management issues and you have relocated to Chicago for a chance to be a better father to your son. Is this true Mr. Abrams?" he asked, making my heart sink.

"Yes your honor it is. I want to be a better man and person for my son. I want to be in his life." Mason said smiling from ear to ear.

"In that case you will be granted supervised visits with your son every weekend under the requirements that you submit weekly progress reports from your therapist stating your progress. Understood?"

"Yes your honor." Mason replied, "Case dismissed."

I was in shock, Mason looked at me smugly as he exited the courtroom. I should've known he would have something up his sleeve. I was escorted into a room and after about 10 minutes they brought Kieran to me. He hugged me as tight as his little arms would let him and I didn't mind one bit.

"I missed you so much KK." I said, pulling away to look at him. "I missed you too! And Von, where is he?" he asked, almost bouncing with excitement.

"He waiting on us at our new house. Come on, let's go." I said holding his hand as he exited.

I would worry about Mason later, right now all that mattered was I had my son back.

Pretty soon it was June and things were going better. My mom and sister had flown up here and they stayed for a week. It was cool to reunite with them, introduce them to Von, and see them spoil Kieran to death every day.

I had started getting more active on social media platforms, marketing myself and my hair business. I was growing slowly but surely, with some thanks to Dayvon gaining attention from his music.

Xena had woken up from the coma and she confirmed what I figured had happened. Mason had crashed into her and stolen her purse, finding the plane tickets, which is how he knew where to start looking. She said once she got better she was going to start looking for a place here in Chicago to stay, so that was something I had to look forward too.

The worst parts of my life were on the weekends whenever Mason came to get Kieran. I sat in my living room with Dayvon and Kieran, waiting on him to show up. Dayvon made sure he was here every Friday just to make sure Mason wasn't on nothing crazy.

I heard the doorbell ring and Dayvon stood up going to answer it. I simply grabbed Kieran and his bookbag that I'd packed up.

"You don't need to be here every time I come pick my son up." Mason said, "I be where I want." Dayvon responded. I quickly headed over to the door seeing Mason standing with the caseworker, Peyton, she stood there awkwardly as Dayvon glared daggers into Mason.

"Peyton take him to the car." Mason instructed, and I released his hand watching as she put him in the car seat. "Nivea we need to talk." Mason said finally taking his eyes off Dayvon.

"Y'all aint got shit to talk about, now gone somewhere." Dayvon said pulling me behind him.

"Imma getting real tired of you being in my way." Mason said making Dayvon step down to where they were face to face. "What you wanna do gang?" I quickly grabbed his arm pulling him back a little bit. "Come back in here Von." I said, not wanting the situation to escalate further.

"Don't expect this nigga to keep you safe for too much longer Niv." Mason said starting to walk towards the car.

I watched them pull off before shutting my door and locking it. Dayvon was now sitting on the sofa obviously heated from the interaction.

"On king Dave I wish I could just figure out where that nigga be at. Would've been took care of that shit."

I had to do something before he went out trying to find Mason, now just wasn't the time to get rid of him. "Come on, let me give you something else to think about." I said grabbing his hand, leading him up the stairs. He could be mad all he wanted but he wasn't never turning down no pussy.