five

Nivea Joy Holmes

A week had gone by, and I had gotten a lot closer to Dayvon. It was impossible not to considering he was over here every day. I was sitting on my bed, looking at jobs on my phone, while Von was putting KK to sleep. Soon he entered my room, laying himself down with his head positioned on my lap.

"Who told you he could lay right there?" I said looking down at him, and he smacked his teeth "Man quit playing, what you doing?" he asked trying to see my phone.

"Looking at jobs. I really wanted to what I might like doing instead of just settling." I expressed with a slight frown. "What you wanna do?" he asked.

"I always liked doing hair, I didn't get the chance to launch my business before coming here." I said with a sigh.

"I can help you out ma. One of my homeboys own a club not too far from here. You can work there till we get the hair shit together." He said and I scrunched my face up at him. "Dayvon I don't wanna be no stripper." I said, making him laugh.

"You aint gotta be no stripper lil folks. Just let me set it up."

I was a little weary about accepting his help, just because we hadn't known each other that long. I only had a few hundred dollars left though so I had to do something.

"Alright, go ahead." I said, "Bet, lemme go make a call." He said getting up and exiting my bedroom. He was only gone for about 5 minutes before he came back in my room.

"Alright my boy Louie say you can be a bottle girl. You start this weekend and if you not fucking with it, you aint gotta go back." He explained and I nodded my head.

"Von, this say it's a hair salon bout 20 minutes from here, you'll go with me to talk to them in the morning?" I asked, "Yea I got you lil folks."

I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror seeing my hair was starting to look a mess. Going to get my hair done was a luxury I had set aside for the time being. Luckily, I'd always been able to do natural hair. I went and grabbed some hair supplies, only wanting to make my ponytail a little neater.

"You want me to help you?" Von asked making me laugh at him. "Boy gone; you don't know nothing about doing no hair." I responded, making him smack his teeth at me.

He watched intently as I straightened the puffier parts and brushed it into a neat ponytail. I wrapped it up before climbing back into my bed. I glanced at the time and realized Dayvon didn't seem to have any interest in leaving, but considering he was helping me out so much I wouldn't make him.

"Thank you for everything Dayvon, I really appreciate it." I said giving him a genuine smile, "It aint no problem lil folks. Now go to bed."

I simply chuckled at him, turning my back towards him, and falling asleep.

The next morning he had taken Kieran over to Ms. Yvette's and got himself ready for the day. He was so effortlessly handsome to me, from head to toe. Once I was ready he drove me to the salon, and I had to argue to get him to stay in the car.

I walked in seeing 2 women and a man, 2 out of the 3 with clients. They looked at me and I smiled kind of awkwardly.

"Can I speak with the owner?" I asked and one of the women spoke up. "Yea give me just a second."

I nodded, sitting in one of the waiting chairs. After she put the woman under the dryer she called me back to her office.

"My name's Sunny, how can I help you?" she said taking a seat at her desk, "My name's Nivea. I'm new to the area and was wondering if you had an opening for another stylist. I already went through cosmetology school and everything."

"Let's get to know one a little first, if that's alright with you?"

I nodded and we started to have a pretty casual conversation. I felt like I was talking to a friend from high school or something it was nice.

"Alright well I recently had to let someone go so you can definitely have her spot and pick up her clientele. Let me go introduce you to the other two." She said and I nodded with a smile.

We exited her office and stood where they both could see and hear us. The girl was giving bad vibes, but I didn't pay her much attention.

"Alright y'all this is Nivea, she's gonna be replacing Erica and taking over her client list. Nivea this is Kody and that's Taisha." She introduced and I waved politely.

"Sunny you deadass? You already did too much firing Erica, but then you gone give her clients to this bitch?! She had already told you they was supposed to go to me." Taisha said, throwing a tantrum.

"Taisha, what you and Erica both seemed to forget is that this my shop. Don't nobody tell me what to do in this bitch. Now if you wanna be such a die-hard friend you free to be unemployed right along with her." Sunny responded, making Taisha go quiet.

Kody cleared his throat "It's nice to meet you Nivea."

"Nice to meet you too." I said, glancing at Taisha again.

I spoke briefly with Sunny and Kody some more before leaving. Once in the car I pulled Von into an excited hug.

"Congrats ma." He said hugging me back.

I was ecstatic and could slowly feel all of my worries starting to ease up a little bit.