thirteen

Once we got back in Chicago, things went back to our normal routine. Before I knew it, it was April 22nd, which meant my big boy was 3 years old. Von had helped me put his party together, and it was small for the most part. It was some kids from the neighborhood, Durk and Kayla brought their sons since they were close in age. Kieran was happy, but it made me realize I had him in hiding as well, and that wasn't fair to him. He deserved the opportunity to explore the world and make friends.

I checked my phone for the millionth time, and Dayvon picked up on it. "Still aint heard from Xena?" he asked, and I shook my head no.

"We talked last night, but she didn't text me back this morning." I said. It was very out of character of her, and I was worried, but I felt like I couldn't do anything but wait around and hope for the best.

We had rented his party space for the entire day, so by the time we'd finished cleaning it was dark outside. I was quiet for most of the ride back, I was tired and still worried about Xena. I felt like I was in between a rock and a hard place, I was in hiding but at this point I'd have to reach out to someone to check on her.

Dayvon Bennett

I glanced over at Nivea, who was just staring off into space. I was gone have to figure out some way to ease her mind.

I pulled up in front of the apartment building, getting out the car to get KK. Lil man had fell asleep soon as she put him in the car. Nivea waited by the front of the car, walking behind me as we headed in the building. I was about to use her key to open the door when I noticed the door was already cracked.

She looked at me with panic in her eyes. I quickly handed Kieran to her, going to unlock Ms. Yvette door with my key. She walked inside, laying him down and turned back around to look at me. "Stay here." I said, closing the door before she could follow behind me.

I pulled my gun out my waistband and walked in her spot. I looked around, stepping around all the mess. Whoever had been here went to every room, by the time I got back to the living room, Nivea was standing there looking around shocked.

"Don't even sweat this shit ma." I said, seeing she was starting to cry. Her phone started ringing and I stepped closer seeing it was an unsaved number.

"This Mason number." she looked at me, her hands starting to shake. I gave her a head nod to answer. She did and put it on speaker phone.

"H-hello?"

M: Wassup baby?

-silence-

M: Why you so quiet now? Must be with your lil boyfriend. I always knew your ass was crazy but I aint think you'd pull some shit like this. I mean you really thought you was gone steal from me, then take my son, and go play family with another nigga. What you thought you was gone live happily ever after?

"M-Mason just leave us alone please."

M: Nah I told you I'd kill you if you ever played with me again, and I meant it. I'll see you soon Nivea. Oh and a little birdie told me Xena in the hospital, might wanna check on her.

The phone hung up, and she just broke down crying in my arms. My blood was boiling seeing her like this, who the fuck that nigga thought he was?

"Come on ma, cut all that crying shit out." I said, wiping her face.

"I don't know what to do Dayvon. Do I leave again? Like-" she started, but I cut her off.

"You crazy if you think you leaving me. Imma handle it. You trust me?" I asked and she nodded her head yes.

I tried to get her to get some sleep, but she was being stubborn. All she wanted to do was clean up and start packing. I was helping at first, but I ended up falling asleep. When I woke up, she was still throwing away broken items. I smacked my teeth getting up and snatching the trash bag from her.

"Dayvon stop, I gotta clean everything up." She said reaching for the bag, but I held it away from her.

"Ion wanna hear that shit Nivea, you finna piss me off. Take your ass over there and lay down." I said, she just stared at me before rolling her eyes and walking to lay on the sofa.

She only laid down for a little while before sitting up and walking into the bathroom, and I followed behind her. She started to pull out all her shit she used to get ready.

"Nivea, what the fuck is you doing gang?" I said snatching the shit from her. "Von I gotta go to work." She said folding her arms and pouting.

"Nivea you finna make me tie your little ass up. You not going to no fucking work, and I'm not gone tell you again." I said, this was gone be my last time telling her.

"Dayvon you not finna-" she started, but I cut her off by picking her up. I carried her to her bed and tossed her onto it. She looked at me reading my expression, and grumbled while she pulled the cover onto her.

I aint trust her to stay laying down so I sat in there till I heard her snoring. I did her a favor and let Sunny and Louie know she wouldn't be into work for a while.

I'd do whatever if it meant I got to keep her with me.