fourteen

Nivea Joy Holmes

I spent that whole day catching up on sleep basically. When I finally did get up I had a message from Dayvon saying he'd taken KK to the park. I sent a quick response before just staring at my phone for a while. Mason had found me so there wasn't any point in not having contact with my mom and sister anymore.

I quickly saved both of their contacts and then facetimed my mother. She answered after a few rings and gasped once she saw my face.

Mom: Omg Nivea!

"Hey ma"

Mom: Navee look it is your sister!

She stepped into view, looking into my mother's phone and gasping.

Navee: Niv! What happened? Where you at?

"I had to get away from Mason. Me and Kieran in Chicago. Everything was cool for a while, but he done found me. I think he did something to Xena, she okay?"

Mom: No her mama called me earlier today. She got in a bad hit and run accident on the way to the airport, she in a coma right now.

I felt horrible, this was all my fault for real. I could feel tears building up in my eyes and I quickly wiped them.

"I just wanted to let y'all know what was going on. I'll call again soon. Love y'all."

Navee: Love you too Niv!

Mom: Love you too, stay safe!

With that I hung up the phone. It was nice to see their faces and hear their voices for a while, but my heart was aching at the news of Xena. For the next couple days Von had me on house arrest, my only outing being taking Kieran to the park for a few hours out the day.

I was sitting in the living room tying Kieran's shoes, we had already been to the park once that day but since Von was over here now he wanted to go with the three of us. Once at the park I sat by myself in comfortable silence, watching the two play together. I heard footsteps approaching me and quickly turned to see it was Erica with a smug look on her face.

"Taisia tell me you aint been at the shop in a while." She said making me roll my eyes. "I mean how you gone steal my job but not even be stable enough to keep it." She continued with a slight laugh.

"Erica don't talk to me like you know my situation. You been pissy about that damn job before I even met you, please move on with your life." I said calmly. By then Von had started to watch us from a distance.

"Oh bitch I know plenty about your situation." She said and I looked at her with a raised eyebrow, "Yea that's right. Your baby daddy came round here looking for you and I happily told him all about how you was running round playing house with my man. I mean I don't know where you came from but how you just gone run off with that man shit. That's giving broke bitch-" she started, but she had said plenty.

Years of pent-up anger and aggression came out as I started punching her in her shit. She screamed as she felt the blood leaking from her mouth.

"You stupid bitch" I said, snatching her by her hair and punching her again. "Keep my name out your fucking mouth. You miserable ass bitch!" I screamed as I continued to punch her in her shit.

I knew Von was letting me get my licks in, but he quickly came and snatched me off once he saw 12 pulling up. I was breathing heavily as I looked at Erica laying there sobbing, her face bloodied.

"She told Mason bout me. Take Kieran inside" I said to Von as the police ran in our direction. He did as I said quickly, not wanting him to see me get arrested.

I had zero regrets as I sat in the back of the police car, ignoring all the nosey neighbors. walked over to the car, ignoring the officers talking to him.

"I'll be down there to get you in a little bit. Imma stop by the hospital and handle shit first." He said and I simply nodded.

After the car pulled off, everything was a blur. I didn't tune back into reality until an officer approached my holding cell.

"It's your lucky day, the victim dropped all the charges."

I collected by belongings and walked out the jail seeing Von leaning against the hood of his car. I walked over, standing in front of him.

"Wassup ma." He said, gently caressing my face. "Ian saying you was wrong, but you too pretty for jail." He said making me chuckle a little.

"What you did to make that girl drop them charges?" I asked and he just shrugged, "Aint have to say too much, bitch knew better. Now come on."

He opened the passenger side door for me, before walking around and getting in the driver side. Now that I knew Mason had actually been in Chicago, I knew the bullshit was far from over.

I wish I could'vesaid I was prepared for anything, but that simply wasn't true.