Freshmen 62

Hampton UniversityWednesday

Hampton University
Wednesday. 1/7
"Player Number One"

{Bounce Back by Big Sean}

It was a Wednesday evening, around the time practice would've been held, and no one was in the gym. There was no young adult males running around, passing a ball between on another. No whistle being blown, no sneakers squeaking against the freshly mopped floor, or loud vulgar music coming from an athletes small speaker. It was just complete silence.

Shai entered the gym dressed in his work clothes. Before heading off to the YMCA, he figured he have a talk with Adams. A few days had went by since the incident and Shai's been thinking about it since. No one talked about it. Everyone left the basketball group chat one by one. It was only Shai and the rest of the freshmen, and he didn't talk to them. Besides Gavin. They communicated here or there about classes and school work. Nothing more.

He saw no one on campus which wasn't all that odd. He rarely saw the team before everything happened, so that didn't change. Overall, no one was speaking on the elephant in the room. Everyone was going on about their day as if nothing happened over the weekend. He was surprised the rest of the school didn't know. Maybe this issue was different from others. After all, it was made known that the Dean and President of Hampton were in on it.

Shai found that unbelievable, but then again the life he came from was similar in this situation. Secrets being kept. Particular people knowing about it and not telling you. He wouldn't be surprised if something was happening now to either his mother or father, and he had no idea. Because he didn't have social media anymore, he was cut off from that part of the world.

He wasn't going back either. Heading to Adams office that's when he heard noise. Yelling, actually. The voices were unrecognizable, but were expressing an insane level of annoyance. Shai hesitantly approached the opened office door. Adams was sitting at his desk while two men in suits towered him. No one noticed him, so Shai stood there and listened to their conversation.

"You said that you had everything under control and this doesn't seem like being controlled!" The man in the grey suit yelled.

That man being Dean Freeman.

Recently finding out the news, he knew he had to set Adams straight. He'd put his trust in the two basketball coaches to keep their deal on the low. Yes, it went against his morals and everything Hampton stood for, but he was helping. That was his motto after all. Helping young black men become a better version of themselves. But as he express his frustration to the unbothered Danny Adams, he figured he made a mistake.

A terrible mistake.

"I do have everything—"

"You don't actually believe that, do you?" President Rodgers spoke up.