Freshmen 53

Hampton UniversitySaturday, 12/20"Working Man"

Hampton University
Saturday, 12/20
"Working Man"

{I'm Ready by AJR}

"Well, hello, there!" Niyah beamed soon as Shai entered the building. She wasn't expecting him to come in today because of the basketball game, but the sight of him was still nice.

Shai waved then spoke, "Wassup." He reached the desk, Niyah standing up since he was towering over her.

"Don't you have a game?" She asked, crossing her arms and raising her brow.

"Yup." He vaguely answered. "Anyway, I wanted to ask if I could start my training today?" he asked.

"Really?" Niyah replied in a surprised tone. "Are you not playing today or what?"

"I'm not on the team anymore. So, can I get trained today?" He asked again, shoving his hands in his pockets. All he wanted was one thing...to get started working, so he didn't have time for unnecessary questions.

Niyah squinted her eyes at him then nodded her head. "Okay, sure. You caught me off guard with that one, but yeah, no problem. Follow me." She responded, Shai smiling.

He watched as Niyah walked from behind the counter and headed down the hall. He followed behind her while also taking in the YMCA. He saw different spaces where all the programs were being held. He heard the laughter and excited screams of children as he walked by. He passed the entrance of the swimming pool where he saw a small group working out the water. It was called water aerobics and he only knew that because his mother was into it for a few days. She claimed it was the best way to keep her figure in tact for the runway. Only for her to drop it on the fourth day of having it.

"Alright, as you can these are all the programs we have. The basketball court is near the front which is where you'll be at a lot of the time. But, for the first few weeks, don't get too comfortable at the court. Everyone here change positions frequently before actually settling in." Niyah explained to him. Shai nodded his head and continued following after her.

They reached the back of the building, Niyah opened the door on the left and entered. Walking in behind her, Shai eyes widened a bit at the sight of the room. He put the pieces together and assumed it was the break room, however, the inside didn't look like anything he imagined. There were two vending machines serving drinks and popular snacks like Honeybuns, Chester Flamin' Hot fries, and his favorite snack of all time, Synder's sourdough nibbles. There was also a flat screen tv currently on Hulu and even a gaming system that was plugged up.

Niyah turned to face him and gave him a small smile. "So, this is the break room, as you can see. That right there is where everyone clocks in and out of." She pointed at the machine that was behind Shai. He look back then nodded his head.