Freshmen 69

Hampton, VirginiaThursday, 5/9"Hard To Say Goodbye"

Hampton, Virginia
Thursday, 5/9
"Hard To Say Goodbye"

{It's Hard To Say Goodbye To Yesterday by Boyz II Men}

"I was surprised to hear from you and this not be related to your mother," Kathy spoke, pressing her black binder against her chest.

Shai chuckled, shoving his hands in his pockets. The two of them walked side by side up to the grassy area. It was the day of Payton's memorial party and they were putting the finishing touches on the area. He had spent the last few days working with Kathy to assure everything was planned accordingly and was going to go well. He was astonished that Paige gave him permission to do this. Not only was he helping out this family, he was learning about a new side of him.

A philanthropist.

Just the thought of using the ridiculous amount of money he had for good use made his heart skip a beat. He was really doing this and he was proud.

"So, is the young lady your girlfriend?" Kathy questioned.

Shai shook his head, "No. She's a fellow Hampton University student who didn't get the memorial she deserves. So, I chose to help out." He answered.

Kathy nodded her head. "That's...different than what the Carters are used to," she mentioned. Shai hummed, agreeing silently. He could never see his mother or father doing something like this for someone. Which is why he had to.

He was not like the other Carters.

They walked over to the food station. Two long white clothed tables were present, chiefs wearing black clothing were setting the food up. Out of request of Paige and her family, they wanted non-fancy foods that were Payton's favorite. Chicken wings, mac n' cheese, collard greens, yams, and more. Shai also bought a few games for the kids to play, a basketball court for the older kids, and a table for the adults to play spades. Axel offered his service to DJ too.

He was expecting a bunch of people to arrive in an hour. Many of the twins family members were coming, a few people from the community, and every student at Hampton. Who could possible decline free food, games, and music?

No one.

Kathy turned to face Shai then spoke, "Alright, the food is all prepared. Games are laid out and tables are clothed in her favorite color, lavender. Your friend is doing the music, correct?" She asked as she read off her sheet of paper.

Shai nodded, "Yes, ma'am. He's on his way as we speak." He answered.

She checked off her paper. "Okay, good. The family ask that before we eat we hold a moment of silence. And at the end, we release the sky lanterns while playing her favorite song—"