Quality of Time

Kyungsoo's POV

My attention was mainly focused on Minah and Syaoran up ahead, but since she was quite a bit older than her cousin yet still young enough to keep up with all of his energy, I was able to relax a little bit. It also gave me a chance to look back and check on Jongin and Joon, who were still straggling along slowly behind me. This time when I looked, they had stopped completely and were further back than before because Joon was kneeling down on the ground seemingly trying to pluck something up from the dirt. Even by car, the trip up to Suho's family cabin would have taken a couple of days, so Jongin insisted on taking the scenic route in our wolf forms. He also mentioned something about the importance of bonding as wolves too and not just humans. I chuckled to myself, wondering if he had started regretting this decision yet. 

"Are you two coming? We'd like to get to the cabin today not next week," I half-teasingly called out after coming to a stop. Both him and Jongin looked up at the same time, which made me chuckle. 

"Go ahead," Jongin said as he batted a hand at me. "We're picking flowers over here, we'll catch up."

"I'm gonna make you the prettiest bouquet ever!" Joon grinned excitedly, throwing his hands up in the air so far that he nearly lost balance. He giggled as Jongin caught him, and even though he laughed it off too, it was hard to ignore the brief moment of panic that flashed in Jongin's eyes. 

"You do that then. Just don't get too far behind. I'm not coming back for you if you get lost," I replied, knowing fully that I would. 

"Us? Get lost? I may be old, but I am still sharp as a knife," Jongin said, prompting me to roll my eyes and nod sarcastically before I started to catch up to Minah and Syaoran again. The three of us inevitably got there before the last two, but they were at least a little closer than they had been at other points of the trip.

"Woowww," Syaoran said in awe after I used the keys Jongin tossed to me to unlock the front door. "This place is fricking awesome!" He grinned excitedly at me as he turned around. "I can't wait to tell all my friends at school about it, especially Doyun because he didn't believe me when I said we owned a big fancy cabin in the woods."

I laughed. "Well, technically, it's your great uncle's cabin, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind you bragging about it," I replied, ruffling the top of his head a little. "Also, does your mother let you say words like 'fricking?' Is that a thing?"

He shrugged it off. "She says as long as I don't say it in a mean way to hurt someone, it doesn't matter." I thought about it for a moment but also ended up shrugging; I'm sure there was some point during her childhood when Jongin or I told her something along the same lines. Joon was the next one to step inside, Jongin close behind him. 

"Hurry, they need water or they'll die!" Joon looked at me urgently as he held up the small bouquet of wild flowers for me to see. 

"Come on, Joonie, I'll help you in the kitchen," Minah said as she walked over to gently guide him toward the kitchen, and I gave her an appreciative smile that she returned with her own smile. I then watched as Jongin sighed heavily and sat down on the nearest chair. 

"Remind me again how we raised two kids," he said. I laughed as I sat down on the arm of the chair, rubbing his upper back as he rubbed his face. 

"We were much younger back then...more energy," I replied, moving my eyes to Minah and Joon in the kitchen as she was helping him fill a small cup with water. "We're outnumbered here."

Jongin groaned, making me chuckle again. He caught my hand in his and looked up at me. "And you, you're doing okay?" he asked with concern in his eyes. 

I smiled affectionately and nodded. "I'm good, baby," I answered. "Medicine hasn't worn off yet. I still remember my name and the date and who you people are. I'm good."