to discover

The room door opens and closes. I, who up to this point have been sitting on my bed staring into space, sit bolt upright and eye my visitor with a mixture of curiosity and fear.

It's Griff!

He walks up and down in front of my bed in silence. As if hypnotized, I follow his path with my eyes. Finally, he stopped at the end of my bed and looked me up and down.

He doesn't look scared. Is it good?

However, he seems thoughtful. Is it bad?

With a loud cough, Griff starts pacing up and down in front of my bed again.

"As things currently stand, you've transformed yourself into some kind of devil creature twice..." he begins. "...did little damage, though, and fortunately didn't attract much attention."

He slows his pace and continues.

"You are without a doubt my best colleague, you are efficient, and you can always be counted on..."

Now he stops and looks me straight in the face.

"But if you transformed in the middle of the store, in front of paying customers, it would be a disaster for business! Plus, people could get hurt..."

"NO, please!" the words escape my mouth before he can continue.

"Let me keep working in the gift shop! Please! I promise you this will never happen! Please! You know how much the job means to me! PLEASE!"

Everything gushes out of me and when I'm done, Griff looks at me with a thoughtful expression.

"Please!" I repeat again.

Griff sighs deeply before speaking to me in a clear voice.

"I don't want to do without my most hard-working employee either. Without a doubt, that would be the worst thing for business."

"Does that mean I can keep working at the gift shop?" I ask hopefully, sliding out of bed.

"Well, you'll be mainly active in the warehouse and sorting the goods, you'll leave the sale to Edgar for the time being, he should always be nearby. I will also assign him to protect you and the customers in an emergency."

"Thank you, thank you, thank you very much!" I cheer and throw my arms around his neck.

"It's okay, lie back down now, get some rest, but be at the store on time tomorrow." He says goodbye and leaves my room again. I happily sink into my pillow and hug my cuddle spike tightly.

"I'll be there." I whisper.