Cold

Excitedly, I put on my simple blue dress and apply a little mascara and eyeshadow, and of course I washed my hair too. Today is Saturday, the day of the party for Lola and Party is the ideal opportunity to get close to other Brawlers and collect autographs. I still miss a few like Belle's, Mr. P.'s and Lola's of course!

At 8:00 p.m. sharp, I unlock the festively decorated shop. Together with Griff, I greet the guests and then join the revellers. Lola looks simply heavenly in her glitter dress, and she gives me her autograph and kisses in my scrapbook!

Yippee!

The gift shop is well filled, at the mini-bar Barley, the waiter robot, mixes various drinks for the guests, in the back of the shop Griff is talking to some important businesspeople, I just don't see Edgar anywhere.

Funny, Byron's there, plus the emo must help tidy up and clean up later. So, I join the dancers again, sneak a feather from Spider-Crow, drink one of Barley's wonderful cocktails and even get my book signed by Belle.

After half an eternity I let my eyes wander around the room again. It's almost midnight now, the party is about to end and still no sign of Edgar.

Wait, stop! Wasn't that just him?

I thought I saw his scarf on the door that leads to the upper floor. Determined, I give chase, dive up the stairs, then through the door, now through the camp - yes, there's someone!

I cross the room, then up a second flight of stairs and then through a hatch. Now I'm on the roof of the gift shop - and Edgar is sitting on the edge in front, dressed all in black, with a view of the sky.

-----

I slowly walk over to him and sit down next to him. He looks at me for a moment, then turns his gaze back into the distance.

My eyes don't let go off his face. Do I see tears running down his cheeks? What is he thinking about right now?

Those are definitely tears!

I gently reach out and wipe them away. He allows it. Why is he sad? Is it because the gift shop isn't doing too well at the moment, or because the teachers at school are so strict with it? Nonsense! This is Edgar. He cares a dawn about what people think of him, and at the Gift Shop he mostly works for the money.

Damn! Why are you so bidding at empathizing with him, Colette? All other people are so transparent for you, you catch details that others always overlook! Why are you having such trouble with Edgar?

Well, I have to cheer him up. However, I have little experience with it. It's not like I have siblings. So how do you do that?

A hug isn't practical right now, so I just rest my head against his shoulder and hope it's comfortable. Anyway, he still doesn't do anything. I reach for his hand uncertainly, my stomach clenching as my fingers touches his warm, soft skin. Suddenly I feel his firm handshake – he holds my hand and gently places it on his knee. I snuggle even closer to him; a pleasant feeling flows through my body, and I close my eyes.

Yep, I'm definitely drunk right now! OK Colette just don't say anything, then it'll be fine.

In fact, I manage to keep my mouth shut for once. I don't know how long we sat there like that. minutes? Hours? Or even days?

Well, maybe not for days, but long enough for me to eventually fall asleep.