mysterious

I run over a bridge, then push off and jump onto the roof of the next house.

Wow, how did I manage that high jump? I dive elegantly over the roof battlements and then glide on to the next roof. Where do I actually want to go?

In any case, I keep walking, over chimneys, roof terraces and shaky terrain, until I reach a large television tower. I jump right at it!

In the large glass windows, I can see my reflection, a red devil figure in a purple dress, with long horns, sharp canine teeth and blood-red eyes...

I wake up bathed in sweat and look in the mirror, which is only a few meters from my bed, which is overloaded with stuffed animals. In it I see myself, Colette, a normal looking teenager with normal white, blonde hair covering my one eye as usual and normal ocean blue eyes.

But when I smile at my reflection, I get a fright!

Have my canines always been this long and pointy? Wow, I'm probably just imagining it because I just had such a crazy dream.

Also, I've always had unusual canine teeth, and the orphanage sometimes called me a vampire for that. I just never realized how right the other kids were about it...

-----

"So, watch out my dears" Professor Pam always manages to get people to listen with her loud, haunting voice. She is standing in front of the entrance gate to the practice area. Next to her are Professor Byron and Professor Rosa and in front of her are all the long-distance students.

"It's here today, the day you guys are going to practice in a real game for the first time."

She pauses for a moment and then continues.

"For the past two months you've been learning the theory and testing your knowledge in paint bag battles, starting today you'll be venturing into battle with your individual weapons!"

Immediately a huge tumult broke out among us students.

A real brawl with real weapons?! How cool is that?!

I've waited so long for this day and now it's here!

"Colleague Byron will now prepare the map, set yourself up in your starting blocks and prepare your super skill, go through your skills and those of the others again, this first round will take place without energy drinks, but with power cube boxes..."

Excitedly, I activate the code for my HP bar and super skill. It will start soon! Professor Byron is still fumbling with some levers on the control panel next to the gate, then the practice area is lined with a dome of blue light. I stand there, blinded, until it occurs to me that instead of watching the practice area transform, I should head to my starting hole. I quickly step inside and wait until a bubble forms around me, which pulls me deep into the darkness.

-----

The bubble bursts and I'm standing in the middle of tall yellow bushes and brick-coloured walls. The practice ground looks amazing, just like a wild west arena from a major brawler game! So cool!!! There is a power cube box not far from me, I make sure no one is in sight, then I blast the lock with the hearts from my book and collect my first power cube!

Fantastic! Let's go now!

Crouching behind bushes I watch as Jessie fights Sandy, both are pretty good. There! She has defeated him, but also has little energy herself. My chance! I strike in a flash, aim, shoot and - yay hit!!!

As I collect their power cups, I get hit by something sharp! Crap, Leon! I had completely forgotten him. A second batch of throwing stars hits me, one more hit and I'm defeated! But ha! super skill! I shoot at him with my book open, he wants to fire, but I'm faster and knock him over once and twice on my return. That was fine, the more damage points he had previously done to me, the more I could take from him, one heart from my book is enough and he's defeated!

After about 20 laps we finally stop.

Admittedly, I'm pretty exhausted! I came eighth twice, seventh three times, sixth place four times, fourth place once, third place five times, second place twice and even first place three times. I happily stand in front of the professors with the others to get some feedback and advice before today's class ends. When Professor Pam stops in front of me, I get goosebumps.

"Now to you Colette, you are already very good with your weapon and use it at the right time. But still practice with your super skill, twice you ran into a wall because you have trouble with the controls, don't just focus on your target, but also on the damage you cause, both to others and to yourself."

"Thanks Professor!" I reply and then ask another question that just went through my head.

"Do you already know when the melee fighters will train here?"

"Tomorrow here at the same time and the high fighters the day after tomorrow, all at the same time, so we teachers have a better overview and less stress with other classes. Why the interest? Is there someone you want to watch?"

Well, actually I just wanted to ask Professor Mortis, the melee trainer something. But upon reflection, I realize there is someone I'd really like to watch.

"Yes, there is Professor and thanks for the information."

"You're welcome, and don't forget the essay on using the Super skill, after what you've learned today, that shouldn't be a problem for you."