But somehow

"Well done my students, we're done for today, please remember to finish reading the chapter on carnivorous plants and have a nice weekend everyone."

With these words, Professor Rosa ends the lesson and I pack my things while the school bell rings in its usual shrill tone.

A few weeks have passed and it's getting colder. Autumn is coming to an end! Edgar is already waiting for me outside.

He recently got permission to park his motorbike (a gift from Bull) in the school yard and since then he's always given me a lift when we're out and driving at the same time.

As soon as I'm there, I take a seat behind him, and we drive to the gift shop. Arriving at the Star Park, he puts the box in the staff area and then we go to the store. This is where we part ways: While I unlock the door and enter the sales room, Edgar goes on to the supplier's place.

I look at him thoughtfully. We've been out for ice cream a few times lately (to end the summer, so to speak), I ride his motorbike with him, and we're together a lot otherwise - but not together in this sense, are we? We're just good friends, aren't we? Or are we just students who happen to work in the same shop? Or are we more?!

Congratulations! Now you've confused yourself helplessly!!!

No! Our destinies may have been a bit similar, but Edgar has definitely been through more than I have. Also, I'm still mad at myself for stealing this knowledge about him instead of experiencing it in person!

The first customers come into the store, and I brush my silly thoughts out of my head. Time to help the Star Park guests!

-----

Late in the evening I go through the gift shop's email account again. Apparently, Griff was lucky with his "business" because the shop is doing better again and the contracts with the companies that also manufacture our products, among other things, are secured.

I secretly log out and quickly check my personal emails. It'll be a while before I'm home, and I've got time right now. Everything is checked quickly. Just the usual notifications that I've paid my bills - and a message from Griff.

Dear Colette,

I'm happy to be able to tell you at such a late hour that after the success of Lola's film party, we have also had the honour of hosting this year's Brawl Stars Christmas party in the gift shop.

All brawlers will come in their new winter skins, which we'll be selling right away over the holidays. This is going to be so good for business!

I hope I can count on discretion with you and Edgar, this time there will be a lot more to prepare. The room decorations, the drinks, the buffet, the music... oh my gosh, how much it will all cost... well, in the end we'll make tons of profits, thank the party.

Greetings and HANDS OFF THE MONEY!!!

Griff

I read through the message in disbelief, then again, and again, and again!

The Brawl Stars Christmas Party here in the Gift Shop?! All brawlers will come?! ALL?! In their new skins?! This is fantastic, this is incredible, this is so cool!!!

I literally explode with joy, an incredibly good feeling flows through my body from my toes to my fingertips, I get up, jump up - and can't get down!

I stay in the air, am I flying? Higher and higher, soon I'll reach the ceiling. I hear a scream behind me, who was that? I turn my head in the direction the sound came from. There's someone down there by the counter, a boy with black hair.

I'm just wondering if I know this boy from somewhere when I bump into the huge chandelier hanging from the ceiling.

Frightened, my wings flap and I fall!

I fall into the dark