Chapter 2

The strong smell of menthol awakened my senses.

"Ipahid mo 'yan sa tyan mo." I heard a sweet voice said, and murmurs of gratitude followed by a small voice of a girl. "You, students, should prioritize your health first before academics."

"Noted po."

"Before you join your classmates, make sure to grab something in the canteen. Eat, Miss Garcia."

After a few more exchange dialogues, the sound of retrieving steps filled the room. Narinig ko rin ang pagbukas at pagsara ng pinto ng clinic.

Bumangon ako sa pagkakahiga at umupo, pinapakiramdaman ang sarili. Bahagya akong napadaing nang may gumuhit na sakit sa puson ko.

Nahawi ang kurtina sa harap ko at nag-aalalang mukha ni Nurse Mike, our department's school nurse, ang nakita ko.

"Miss Acosta, kamusta ang pakiramdam mo?" Lumapit sa akin ang nurse.

"Masakit po ang ulo at puson ko. Nurse Mike, sino po ang nagdala sa akin dito?"

Naglakad siya papalapit sa lamesita sa tabi ko at saka nagsalin ng tubig sa isang baso. Inabot niya iyon sa akin.

Tinanggap ko ang baso ng tubig at sumimsim doon.

"A rover scout brought you here. Mabuti na lamang may scout na nasa floor ninyo nang mawalan ka ng malay," he said. "Your friend was here awhile ago, but I had to send her away dahil sa on-going na earthquake drill."

I blinked hard when I felt a sharp pain in my temple. "Gaano po ako katagal nawalan ng malay?"

Nurse Mike walked away and stood in the foot of the bed. He looked at his wristwatch.

"Almost 15 minutes. Bago umalis si Miss Agustin, she told me you haven't had your lunch. You have to eat before I give you something for the pain."

I threw off the blanket of my body, and I was about to stand up when Nurse Mike stopped me.

"Just wait here. May inutusan na akong bumili ng pagkain sa canteen. Naubos na rin kasi ang mga foodstuff dito sa clinic," pagbanggit niya. "Maiwan muna kita rito. I have to check the MediCorps downstairs."

"Sige po. Thank you, Nurse Mike." Nurse Mike only smiled, then he closed the curtain again. I heard sheets of paper being picked up, and then Nurse Mike walked towards the door.

Napalingon ako sa kaliwa ko nang marinig ang ingay sa labas nang sandaling bumukas ang pinto at mabilis din iyon nawala nang tuluyang makalabas ng clinis si Nurse Mike. Then, the sound of breezing air and dancing of leaves filled the room.

I wiggled my toes to release the build-up of cold tension, and then I pulled my cardigan tighter to my body.

Muli akong lumingon sa kaliwa ko nang bumukas ang pinto. I noticed the unfamiliar sound of the footsteps of the person who'd entered the clinic. It's heavy, steady, and trained.

"Nurse Mike, I'm back from the canteen." A hoarse voice announced. "Nurse Mike, dala-dala ko na ang pagkain na pinabili mo."

Nang walang sumagot sa kanya, I saw his shadow walking around the room to find the nurse. When he didn't spot Nurse Mike, he went back to the direction where he had been.

"Saan kaya nagpunta si Nurse Mike?" From where I sit, I can clearly see his head turning from left to right, still looking for the nurse who went outside minutes ago. The open window where light can easily pass through it outlines his form.

He is tall and lean. He also has a broad shoulder that is very uncommon for a senior high school student. Most of my male classmates are either slender or lanky, but the guy behind the other side of the curtain seemed to be physically built differently.