Chapter 42: He Left

Gina's POV
I wake up, and it's light outside? And I'm in an unfamiliar bed.

Oh. Great, I fell asleep at Ricky's house and he didn't wake me up. My mom is definitely not ready to murder both of us.

I hear the door softly opening, and in enters Ricky. He probably thinks I'm still asleep.

"Oh. Good morning, Gina." He says cheerfully.

"Morning. Sorry I fell asleep."

"It's okay, Gi. You want some breakfast? My mom made pancakes."

"Sure, why not?"

•••Monday: rehearsal•••

"Has anyone seen Gina?" Carlos asked.

"Ashlyn isn't here either." Maddox piped in.

"They've both been missing since lunch, it's weird." Nini says.

"We're supposed to be doing an act one run through tomorrow with both of them." Kourtney reminds us, her act one run through is today.

"Ricky, do you know?"

"No clue." I said, honestly. "She has kind of been distant and pretty cold from what I did see today."

Ding ding

I got an alert on my phone. It was from EJ.

E: Hey Ricky, I bet you are all wondering where Gina is, and I just wanted to let you know that I found her on a walk today. She's with me, and she's safe, I think she just needs some time to cool off. Ashlyn is on her way back to the school for rehearsal now. Meet me at the trailhead after rehearsal.

"EJ has her guys. Ashlyn's on her way back here, and I guess Gina won't be coming."

EJ's POV
"Gina? Shouldn't you be at rehearsal?" It's 3:30 PM when I find Gina near the trailhead at the park.

"I'm not going today." She sits against a tree, with her knees curled tightly up to her chest and her head down. Then I hear her sniffle.

"Gina? What's going on?" I slowly slide down beside her at the tree.

"I don't want to talk about it. It's stupid." She says.

"Nothing you say could be stupid, Porter. I know things are weird between us still, but your emotions aren't stupid, and I'm here to support you."

She looks up at me a bit and I see the redness in and around her eyes.

"May I..?" I start to signal a side hug.

She just nods, and I wrap my arm
around her shoulders, letting her head fall on mine.

"So what's going on?" I ask gently.

"EJ, you know how I never talk about my dad?"

"Yeah..?" She really didn't.

"Ten years ago today, he left."