Chapter 24: Doubting

Ricky's POV
"Jack?" Gina pulled out of my reach.

"Well if it isn't Gina Porter." 'Jack' says.

"What are you doing here?" Gina laughs in disbelief.

"My dad got a new job for a different airline."

"Sorry, if I'm a little late, Gina, but who is this?" I asked.

"Oh, sorry, Ricky. This is Jack. We met at the airport over spring break."

"Really?" I asked.

Gina looked me in the eye and saw my slight bit of jealousy and doubt. She placed her hand on my thigh, rubbing it with her thumb. Then she forced my hand over hers.

"I helped Gina get into the VIP area when she was stuck in the airport with no money or food."

"I see." Ricky said.

"Why don't you sit, Jack."

"Wait, Nini, how do you know Jack?"

"We met briefly when I lived in Denver."

"Oh, that makes sense." Kourtney said.

"Wait, I'm confused? You two met at the airport?" Ashlyn asked. "Weren't you busy talking to EJ and I and choreographing that dance?"

"Yeah," Gina scooted closer in my arms uncomfortably. "He was kind of there most of the time." She kept shifting, and I placed a hand on her shoulder.

"You're alright. Breathe, just breathe."

She took a deep breath.

"I'm okay." She said, calming down.

"So, Gina. I take you got that first kiss, huh?" Jack asked.

Gina blushed. "You could say that. Surprisingly not with this guy, though."

•••
Gina and I were sitting in the rehearsal room together. Our hands sat together on her lap, and she laid her head against my chest.

"I love you, Gina."

"Mmm...I like hearing you say that."

"Do you now?"

"Yes. Never thought I would, but here we are, Ricky Bowen."

"Yep. So we're all set for V-Day?"

"We sure are. I'm ready for this."

"Remind me when you go there again to keep working on the new thing?"

"Not until a week in May when you have senior testing. And I will be graining that information into your brain before I leave."

"I like the sound of that. Wait, how are you making a TV show in two weeks?"

"I'm only in six scenes of it, so I have to film three each week."

"Are you gonna be okay flying alone the second time?"

"I grew up in airports, Ricky. I'll be fine."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I will be."

"Okay." I squeezed her arm.

•••

"Hey, Gi? You want a ride home?"

"Yes please. I want to spend as much time with you as possible."

"Glad to know we're on the same page. Let's head out." 

In the car, Gina and I sang along to the Wicked soundtrack.

"So if you care to find me, look to the western sky!" She screamed.

Then I joined in. "As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly!"

We sang together. "And if I'm flying solo, at least I'm flying free! To those who ground me, take a lesson back from me!"

•••5 minutes later•••

"Well, here we are." I sighed, wishing Gina and I had more time together.

"Come in?" She pleaded with her eyes.

"Gladly."

We walked up to her room in the attic.

"Are you okay, Ricky?" She suddenly asked.

"What? Yeah. Why wouldn't I be?" My voice went a bit higher than I hoped it would.

"Did something happen?" She grabbed my hands.

I sighed, looking down. "I guess I'm just kind of...threatened...by this Jack dude."

"Ricky? I promise you don't have to worry about that. I met him for a few hours at an airport ten months ago. We haven't spoken since, and I...my feelings for you never really stopped going away...no matter how hard I tried to push them away."

"Really? What about EJ?"

"I tried to just be with him, but after months of trying to figure things out with you, it was too hard and too confusing for me to get rid of those thoughts."

"I guess I understand that."

"Ricky, my mom will probably let you stay for dinner, do you want to?"

"If it means I can be with you, always."

•••

"So, Ricky. You've chosen a school?" Terri asked.

"Yeah, I'm going to Salt Lake City College." I felt Gina's hand crawl up my knee.

"I see. And what are your intentions with my daughter during that time?"

"As far as I know, Gina and I are want to work as hard as possible to make this all work."

"Hmm. We'll see about that."