Chapter 2: Bonding

Ricky's POV
Gina and I share the same first class today. We have a math class because of course she's accelerated.

I look across the room at her and nod at my phone to tell her to check our texts.

R: Wish I was next to you right now.

G: That'd be nice.

R: Will your mom let you come over after school?

G: She won't care. Can you give me a ride?

R: Course.

I smile at my phone which grabs the attention of the teacher.

"Ricky, off your phone, please. We have one more lesson before break. Anyway, class..."

•••lunch time!•••

"Hey there, do you have a boyfriend?" I approach Gina at her locker before lunch.

"You, you idiot!" She grins.

"Hungry?" I ask.

"God yes."

•••at the table•••

"So, who wants to play a game of guessing the spring musical?" Emmy asks.

"I'm up for it." Jet agrees.

Gina's all snuggled up against me, and I couldn't be more happy. Being with her is so refreshing.

"I'm so glad I have you here, you know that?" I whisper in her ear. She leans in and kisses me.

"Hey lovebirds, focus. You don't need to point out that you're the cutest couple ever at all times!" Carlos sasses.

Gina blushes, and I smile. I like when she blushes, it's cute...she's cute.

Anyway. Back to guessing the musical.

"I need it to be Dear Evan Hansen." Seb says.

"And I need it to be Beauty and the Beast as my senior show!" Kourtney says.

"Kourtney, you're not doing that for a third time in the last three years!" EJ says over FaceTime. "Gotta go, guys, see you!" He hangs up.

"Wait a second, guys I'm getting a call." Gina turns the phone to face me.

It's Nini. I haven't spoken with her since June.

"Sorry, guys, I'm gonna take this." Gina pulls out of my grasp and I feel empty.

She steps over to a pillar on the side of the cafeteria, smiling and laughing like old times with Nini.

"Hey, guys, it's Nini! Say hi." She walks over.

"Hi Nini!" Everybody screams.

"Neeneers! We miss you so much!" Kourtney screams.

"Is um- is Bowen there?" I hear the barely familiar voice of my ex-girlfriend.

"Yeah, here. Here's Ricky." Gina passes her phone to me, and it reveals Nini's face for the first time in a long time. I step away from the table.

"Hey, Nini. How are you?"

"I'm- I'm good, Ricky. Better than ever, actually, it's so freeing out here. Though, I am gonna miss the snow. I just wanted to see if you got my card over the summer." She smiled faintly.

"I did. Thank you, for the lotto ticket. Like really."

"It's no big deal," she sighs "you would do the same."

"True. Well, I should get back to eating, but it was really, really nice to see your face, Neens. I've missed you."

"I miss you too, Ricky."

•••back at the table•••
Gina's POV
"Are you okay?" I place a hand on Ricky's shoulder.

"I'm- I'm fine. It was just weird, you know, seeing her. Thank you, though, for allowing me to."

"Nini wasn't just your girlfriend, Ricky. If she was I wouldn't hand you my phone. But she's so much more. She did so much for you. You made each other who you are now, you named her, Ricky. And no matter what you two have been through, and all the ups and downs, I truly believe that you will always have a special bond."

•••

Thanks for continuing to read! I think I'll post again today, and please consider voting!