Broken-Chapter 4

Chapter 4-Taking Shots

Lexi’s POV

Once we got to the pool the rest of the day was uneventful. I didn’t hear or see from Jake, and I started to relax a little. I had a feeling though that Ava and Amy were trying to play matchmaker with me and Matt. I know they were only trying to make me feel better, but it was starting to get annoying. On more than one occasion while we were in the pool Ava or Amy had pushed me into Matt. Each time we had both apologized to one another and went our separate ways. I know Matt was trying to keep a distance between us, and I was thankful for that. Although I did catch him staring at me a few times, he never made a move or invaded my space.

After being at the pool for about an hour and a half, we all decided to go back the guys’ condo for drinks. Amy and Ava were all over Matt’s two friends as we made our way back to the condo. I honestly don’t see how they could be so willing to give themselves to these guys they just met this morning. They were walking ahead of me leaving me alone again with Matt.

“So do your friends always pick up random girls?” I asked trying to make conversation. If I was going to be stuck with Matt for the rest of the night I might as well talk to him,

“Yeah, it looks like our friends have a lot in common.” Matt answered making a very good point. I couldn’t help but smile.

“I guess you’re right. So are you not like them or something?” I questioned. The whole day I had watched girls practically drool over him, but he never even looked their way.

“No, thankfully I’m not.” He answered honestly.

“So, what’s your story? I mean it’s only fair I know yours since you know mine.” I asked.

“Well, I dated this girl for a year, and everything was great. I was truly and deeply in love with her. The night I was going to propose to her I walked in on her and one of my supposed close friends. It completely tore me up. That was about three months ago.” Matt looked off towards the ocean.

“Wow. I am so sorry.” Was all I could say. I was in complete shock, and I seriously felt bad for the guy. No wonder he told me he knew where I was coming from.

“Don’t be sorry it wasn’t your fault. That’s why I told you I know how you feel.” Matt replied as we walked up the steps to his condo.

“Come on guys quit lagging behind.” Ava yelled.

We got to the condo and Shane started making margaritas and screwdrivers. He offered a margarita to me but I shook my head turning him down.

“What you don’t drink?” He smirked as Amy grabbed the drink out of his hand.

“No she doesn’t, but I do.” Amy said with a playful smile on her face.

“Oh really?” Shane raised an eyebrow and followed her onto the patio with Ava and Zack.

“You really don’t drink?” Matt asked.

“No I don’t drink, I do shots.” I smiled reaching for the tequila and a shot glass.

“Ok set me up a glass.” Matt smiled back.

I got another glass and filled it up the rim. Matt stopped me just before I took my shot.

“Hold up a second. Don’t you want a chaser?” He asked curiously.

“Nope. I do my shots straight. I like the way it feels.” I smiled again. Why couldn’t I stop smiling? I wasn’t even drunk yet.

 “Ok then let’s play a game.” Matt said.

“What kind of game?” I asked.

“First one to take three shots back to back gets to ask the other a question. It can be about anything.” Matt answered with a wicked grin on his face.