Chapter 68

Mason's presence had drawn everyone's attention, and Grayson could see him from across the room. He dressed in a classic black tuxedo with a black tie and a white vest, exuding an air of confident charm. Alison stood beside him, donned in a flowing, midnight-blue dress, her dark hair casually gathered into a tousled bun. While it appeared as though she had been forced into wearing the gown and arranging her hair, her beauty remained undeniable, Grayson surmised.

"Care to introduce me to the lady by your side?" A familiar voice cut through the air, and Grayson turned to see Cora, offering Mason a glass of wine which he accepted without hesitation.

"Cora, meet Bloom. She's a talented singer, and we've been collaborating on some projects," Mason smoothly introduced.  Grayson observed the subtle exchange, impressed by Mason's ability to adapt and deceive effortlessly.

Cora's shoulders seemed to visibly relax and relief was evident as she responded, "Pleasure to meet you, Bloom. Mason and I have been working together on a few projects as well. This charity event was entirely his idea, and I couldn't resist lending a hand."

Alison, now playing her role as Bloom, responded with a warm smile. "Is that so?"

Grayson casually rested against a nearby wall, melding with the backdrop. He keenly watched the exchanges, the laughter, and the illusion of a dazzling occasion. The realization that Cora had a link to Mason weighed on him, implying more complications, additional hints, further enigmas, and an escalation of the intricate game. But there was also the possibility that she was merely another pawn, a diversion meant to mislead him.

Cora moved closer to Mason, her hand encircling his arm. "I do adore a good performance. Will you sing something for us, Bloom?" Her desire to be alone with Mason was evident, and Mason, equally aware, answered for Alison.

"I'm sure she'd be delighted," Mason replied, locking his gaze on Alison. "Wouldn't you, Bloom?"

With a crooked smile, Alison, now poised as Bloom, let go of Mason's hand. Her blue eyes met Mason's for a split second, and then made her way gracefully on the stage.

Alison held the microphone gently, her hand trembling slightly. Cora, now glued to Mason's side, whispered something in his ear before turning her attention to Alison's performance.

Alison exchanged a quick word with the guitarist beside her, and he nodded in response, signalling to the rest of the band. In an instant, the room was filled with the burst of music, a catchy tune that felt strangely familiar.

"(Help)" echoed the band members.

"I need somebody," Alison sang after.

 "(Help)" 

"Not just anybody,"

 "(Help)"

 "You know I need someone, (help)."  The band harmonized their voices, all directed towards Alison.

"So much younger than today, (I never need),

 I never needed anybody's help in any way, (Now),

But now these days are gone ,(these days are gone), I'm not so self assured,

(And now I find), now I find I've changed my mind,

And opened up the doors.

Help me if you can, I'm feeling down,

And I do appreciate you being 'round,

Help me get my feet back on the ground,

Won't you please, please help me..."

Alison sang "Help" by The Beatles, a tune Grayson knew well. Grayson couldn't help but reminisce about the song's origins. It was a familiar tune, one from the 1965 Help Album, a favourite of his grandfather, Tobias Hawthorne. Tobias loved the Beatles for their hidden secrets, yet he couldn't solve them, calling it "Riddles Upon Riddles, Traps Upon Traps." If his grandfather couldn't solve it, what chance did Grayson and his brothers have? One thing they knew for sure: the Beatles had secrets they were determined to protect at all costs even till this day.

Amidst these reflections, Grayson's attention remained fixed on Alison. He wondered why no one seemed to realize the song's meaning – she was obviously pleading for help. However, the room was filled with dancing and smiles, oblivious to the song's true message.

Alison's voice, gentle and deliberate, carefully enunciated each word, creating a poignant contrast to the song's hidden plea for help.

"In oh so many ways,(My independ-),

My independence seems to vanish in the haze, (But),

But every now and then, (now and then), I feel so insecure,

(I know that I), I know that I just need you like,

I've never done before.

Help me if you can, I'm feeling down,

And I do appreciate you being 'round,

Help me get my feet back on the ground,

Won't you please, please help me..."

Grayson noticed something interesting. Alison was looking around the room while she sang, like she was searching for something. Then, those enchanting blue eyes locked onto Grayson's, and a delicate smile graced her lips, all while she continued to sing. In that fleeting instant, Grayson for some reason felt sad, as if a profound weight had settled deeper within his chest. She was trying so hard to tell people, through her books and her song, yet everyone remained clueless - dancing, drinking, and laughing.

Alison sang the next part of the song with just her voice and the bands', no music in the background.

"When I was younger, so much younger than today,

I never needed anybody's help in any way, (Now),

But now these days are gone, (these days are gone), I'm not so self assured,

(And now I find), now I find I've changed my mind,

And opened up the doors.

Help me if you can, I'm feeling down,

And I do appreciate you being 'round,

Help me get my feet back on the ground,

Won't you please, please help me, help me, help me, ooh..."

When Alison finished singing, everyone clapped and smiled, clearly pleased by her singing. Alison gave the audience a sad yet beautiful smile, then gracefully exited the stage. Grayson's silver eyes followed her,  but the bustling crowd swallowed her up, and she vanished from his sight.

Grayson remained patient, knowing Alison was making her way toward him. During this pause, he contemplated the song's message. It was evident that Alison was seeking help, a subtle plea that seemed to elude most of the crowd's comprehension. He wished he could have witnessed Mason's reaction when Alison sang; it must have been priceless. She was disobeying Mason, and even though it was reckless and dangerous, Grayson loved every single second of it. 

Gradually, Alison came into view, and as soon as Grayson laid eyes on her, she gave him one of her best smiles yet. It was a deliberate, slow smile that stirred something within him.

Suddenly, a snippet of the song resurfaced in Grayson's mind, the part she had only sang once:

"I need somebody, (Help),

Not just anybody, (Help),

You know I need someone, help..."

It then dawned on Grayson that the song wasn't meant for everyone. I need somebody, not just anybody, you know I need someone, help...

It was clear now, she wasn't seeking just anyone; she was seeking him – Grayson.