Chapter 4

Grayson sat in the front row of his Financial study class, tapping his pen against the desk as the professor droned on about marketing strategies. He inwardly groaned at the professor's incompetence and wondered how he had managed to attain his position.

"Actually, the numbers you're citing are misleading," he corrected the professor, once again.

"Actually, Mr Know-it-all, all numbers lead somewhere," Alison stumbled into the room, tripping over her own feet and dropping her books in a loud clatter.

Grayson couldn't believe his luck. Not only was he stuck with her as a partner for the entire semester, but now they were taking financial classes together. Alison made her way to the only available seat, which happened to be right next to Grayson. This should be interesting, he thought to himself.

"The current economic climate is quite favourable for investment in the stock market," she finished. Grayson could feel her excitement, ready to make a scene.

"Investing in the stock market is far too risky in today's volatile market conditions Ms Emrys," Grayson retorted, his voice laced with authority.

"It's not so much that investing in the stock market is risky, but rather that the specific stocks you invest in can greatly affect your potential returns," Alison countered, a glint in her eye that suggested she was trying to provoke him.

Grayson wanted to respond but thought better of it. He didn't want to give her the satisfaction of getting a rise out of him. Instead, he remained silent, his face a mask of indifference.

"The stock market is manipulated by the wealthy, who buy everything and then put them up for sale at higher prices. It is a corrupt system, and we all know it," she stated firmly, her tone unwavering.

Grayson reluctantly acknowledged that she was right about that. He had been raised in the world of finance, with his grandfather having established a vast empire from scratch. Grayson's entire existence had revolved around upholding the empire, as he was the heir and worked to expand its power. However, everything took a dramatic turn after Avery entered his life, their lives, causing a series of changes that turned out to be for the better rather than the worse.

"And what would you suggest as an alternative investment?" Grayson asked, leaning in with interest.

Grayson let his eyes linger on Alison's. Despite her playful demeanour, there was something confident and self-assured about Alison's posture and expression, as if she knew exactly what she was talking about.

Alison grinned. "Crypto currency."

Grayson scoffed. "Crypto is just a fad. It's not a reliable investment."

Grayson had attempted to grasp the Crypto algorithm, but it kept evolving. The only individual he believed capable of manipulating it was Xander.

Alison closed her eyes with a sly smile. "Sometimes you need to take risks."

Risks? She definitely didn't know who Grayson Hawthorne was. His entire existence was a risk, and even in this moment, he was taking a chance.

Suddenly, memories of the underground gathering at the Hawthorne Mansion flooded Grayson's mind, and he couldn't help but feel a pang of longing. The night they had pieced together the old man's game and revealed the anagram of Avery's name - "A Very Risky Gamble" - had been a turning point. He insisted himself that Avery was just a friend, but the ache remained.

Alison's comment brought him back to the present, and he bristled at her words. "I take calculated risks," he retorted, his tone sharp. "Unlike you, who just jumps into things blindly." He shot her a hard stare, but she simply shrugged, unbothered.

"Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith," Alison countered.

Before Grayson could respond, the professor's voice interrupted them. "Enough! You two have been disrupting the class for far too long." The room fell silent as all eyes turned towards the front of the room.

"You." The professor pointed at Alison. "You should be paying attention to class, especially since you came in late," the professor scolded. "And Mr Hawthorne, I expected better behaviour from you. You, of all people, should know the importance of focus and discipline."

Grayson's eyes narrowed as he locked gazes with the professor, his tone sharp and cutting. "Perhaps if you were more attentive in your teaching, I wouldn't need to keep correcting you." He adjusted his handcuffs, his body tense with frustration.

The professor was taken aback, his face reddening with embarrassment. He struggled for a moment, then cleared his throat and shifted his gaze to Alison.

Alison was picking up her bag, fully intending to leave the class and never come back. "Where do you think you're going?" the professor stammered. Alison just waved her hand dismissively, while Grayson didn't even acknowledge the professor's comment.

As Alison turned to leave, Grayson locked eyes with her, noticing a glimmer of amusement in her gaze. She seemed to relish the little game they were playing, her lips pressed tightly together as if holding back something she wanted to say. Grayson refused to give her the reaction she seemed to be seeking, maintaining a stoic and unflinching stare of his own.

Alison faced the professor, answering his previous question with a defiant tone, "Anywhere is better than here." She then turned towards Grayson, leaning in so close that their faces almost touched, and whispered softly, "You know what they say about personal finance? It's always better when you have a partner in crime... I mean, a partner in saving! So, Mr. Financial Advisor, care to join me for some ice cream?" With a playful wink, she waited for his response.

Real smooth, Grayson thought. Are you trying to ask me out on a date or a budget meeting? Or both?

With a mischievous grin, she added, "This is the part where you come with me."

Grayson couldn't believe the audacity of this girl, and he wasn't sure why he was allowing her to get to him. He knew that getting involved with Alison would surely lead to trouble, and he had no intentions of becoming anything to her. However, the thought of enduring another three hours of the professor's lecture was unbearable. Maintaining his composure, he coolly responded, "I thought you'd never ask," as he rose from his seat.