34 - The Burden Ain't Yours To Carry.

The hours dragged on like an endless stretch of time

The hours dragged on like an endless stretch of time. My mind raced with worry and anxiety as I tried to reason where Alessandro could possibly be. The sun had already set and darkness had descended upon the city, while I sat there, paralyzed by the fear of what might have happened to him.

I tried calling him, hoping that maybe his phone was dead or on silent, but each attempt went straight to voicemail. My mind started spiraling out of control as I thought of all the worst-case scenarios. Had he finally found Diego? That was the thought that brought the most fear to my heart. The thought of Alessandro facing Diego alone, of Diego getting the better of him, hurt me in ways that I couldn't describe.

I sat on the balcony, huddled in the cold. My stomach growled, reminding me that I hadn't eaten all day. I had skipped dinner, unable to face people, pretending to be okay and forcing a smile. The mere thought of it exhausted me.

I was lost in my own thoughts when I heard Luca's gentle knock. "Yessie?" His voice called out.

"I'm out here, come on in," I replied.

He entered and headed straight for the balcony where I was curled up. "What are you doing out here, Yessie? Come inside, you'll catch a cold," he urged, wrapping an arm around me.

"I'm waiting for Alessandro," I murmured, feeling a weight settle in my chest.

Luca knelt down before me, looking straight at me with a hint of worry in his eyes. "Is everything okay, Yessie?" he asked, stroking my hair gently.

I couldn't lie to him, nor did I want to. "I'm scared, Luca," I whispered.

Concern etched his face, and he asked, "Of what? What happened?"

My voice rose in desperation, "Of what Diego's left us to deal with. He's gone, but the pain he caused still lingers. And it seems like he's not done yet!"

In a rage, Luca questioned me, "What else has he done now?"

I took a deep breath, "He had Giada sign on a bunch of money laundering-related transactions," I replied, my head falling into my hands.

Luca jumped up from the floor, his face contorted with fury, as he processed what I had just said. "That son of a bitch, I swear I'm going to kill him!" he spat.

"Luca, stop! Don't make me worry about you on top of everything else," I begged, grabbing his hand.

He settled back into the armchair, simmering with anger.

"We have to clear Giada's name. But we can't let her know, not yet," I reasoned.

He let out a deep sigh and gave me a gentle kiss on the forehead before leaving the room.

════

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, the sound of a car pulling up outside my window broke through the deafening silence. I sprang up from my chair and ran towards the balcony, peering down into the driveway below. Relief washed over me when I saw Alessandro climbing out of the car, safe and sound. All my worries and fears dissolved in that instant, and I could feel the weight lifting off my shoulders.