25 - Deadly Alliance.

Staring out the window, I watched the snow fall far from home

Staring out the window, I watched the snow fall far from home. I was a good three thousand miles away, but I could see my family Christmases from the past as if they were yesterday. Every tree draped in Christmas lights, the sweet aroma of my mother's traditional turrón wafting through our mansion and the deep baritone laughter of my father filled my heart.

My family, headed by a Mafia Don, was not conventional by any stretch, but we had been loving and warm.

Miguel and I would dance around the Christmas tree and play pranks on Santino and Pietro. It was those simple moments filled with love and affection that I held close to my heart, and they kept me warm despite the biting winter chill outside.

Thinking about all this made me realize just how grateful I was for my life and for everyone who'd shaped me into who I was. I knew not everyone was as lucky as me.

The day just seemed to stretch on for ages. The house was surprisingly calm and quiet, it was as though everyone had somehow completely missed what today was.

Buzzing with anticipation for the Christmas celebration, I got Mel and Anna onboard with the task of dressing up the house. It was a real boost having some help to lighten the load and bring the house to life.

Giada and Fico managed to get their hands on this incredibly lush and beautiful pine tree. Fico, being a perfectionist to the core, painstakingly positioned the tree in just the right spot, ensuring it was perfectly straight and stable.

As I worked diligently, hanging twinkling fairy lights across the branches, the tree came to life in the warmth of the fire. Each ornament I hung brought new charm and character to the tree, and the colors of the tinsel draped perfectly across the boughs.

Looking around at the almost-finished decorations, I asked, "How's everything coming along?"

"We're almost there," Anna and Mel simultaneously replied, looking up from the last few bits they were tweaking.

Giada called out to us, "I've just made some delightful mint tea. Let's all take a break. Fico, don't be a stranger, come join us."

The scent of the fresh mint tea wafted through the living room, one by one, we all dropped what we were doing to rush over and grab a cup.

Giada gently held my hands in hers, her eyes brimming with unspoken gratitude. "Considering the recent events and the stress we've all been under, I honestly didn't believe we'd be celebrating Christmas this year. I want to thank you for all you've done for us, especially for my son."

Her words were heartwarming and I felt this wave of affection wash over me. All I could do was give her hands a reassuring squeeze, unable to find the words to express the depth of love and respect I held for her.

Working together to create a cozy mood for the evening felt like we were truly making a home for ourselves. I hoped everything would fall into place and make this night a nice surprise for the boys, they deserved a stress free night after all.