8 - Caged Hearts.

Alessandro, was gone

Yasenia was still, eerily so.

It was as if time itself had decided to halt in that horrific moment.

"Yasenia, look at me," I implored, my hands clutching onto her arms with an intensity born out of fear.

I could feel her heart pounding relentlessly within the confined space of her rib cage, the rhythm more akin to a war drum as it resonated with the intense heat radiating from the car in flames - Alessandro's car.

In an abrupt motion, Yasenia managed to wrestle herself free from my grasp and started sprinting towards the fire.

It felt as if the ground beneath me shook with her every footfall.

"Yasenia, for fuck's sake no!" The words tore themselves out of my mouth in a futile scream, as if hoping the very sound could bind her to her spot.

She didn't heed me though.

Once she was there, before the roaring monster of a blaze, her body stilled and she froze once again. Her face, visible even amidst the vibrant oranges and fierce reds of the fire, was a mask of agony and despair. Her tears took paths down her ghostly white cheeks, her heart breaking right before my very eyes.

And it was in that moment I realized how much she truly loved him. It hit me with a force that was nearly staggering.

Suddenly, the sounds of her choked cries hit me, "He's not in the car. He's not in the car!" The utterance stirred me from the trance I had unknowingly slipped into.

As the flames danced lower and the thick smoke started to disperse, I could make out the silhouette of the charred vehicle. It was only when the final few tendrils of smoke cleared out and revealed an empty driver's seat did we both let out relieved sighs. Incredulous relief washed over me, a profound gratefulness for his survival, if it was even true.

I couldn't believe I was actually hoping and praying with fervor that the man I had despised hadn't met his doom.

Life sure does have a morbid sense of humour.