12 - Silent Night, Bloody Night.

I sank into the armchair on the porch, inhaling the silence that draped over the night like a soft blanket

I sank into the armchair on the porch, inhaling the silence that draped over the night like a soft blanket. The sky was painted with the deepest blues you could imagine, offering the stars a place to twinkle.

The silence was punctuated only by the sound of Alessandro's low voice as he talked with Andrea over the phone. I assumed they were ironing out some details back at home, assuring everything was in place and safe.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, allowing the cool breeze to fill my lungs and clear my thoughts.

Suddenly, a warmth enfolded my shoulders, breaking through my quiet reflection. Startled, my eyes popped open, only to find Alessandro carefully draping a warm blanket around me.

"Thanks," I managed to whisper out, nestling into the unexpected warmth gratefully.

He responded with a half-smile and joined me in the second armchair.

Reclining comfortably in his chair, his eyes fixated on the dark sky, admiring the stars. A shared silence seeped between us. It wasn't awkward, nor uncomfortable. It just... was.

I eventually decided to break it. "It's funny, isn't it? We're afraid of darkness yet mesmerized by the stars and moon. We fail to appreciate that the profound beauty of the moonlight stems from the very darkness that surrounds it," I mused aloud.

A heavy sigh from Alessandro tugged my attention towards him. His eyes held a confusing look. I couldn't help the concern it raised within me.

"What happened to you?" I couldn't help but ask. "Nobody is born evil, Alessandro. You must have known love and affection. What happened?"

"Why the sudden questions?" His retort, laced with confusion, didn't stray his attention from the distant stars.

"I'm just trying to understand you," I said softly.

A second sigh was his only immediate response. His features appeared troubled, and his weariness palpable. I understood not to push.

"On another note," I steered the conversation towards a more comfortable subject, "Tell me about Andrea. I've noticed you both share a strong bond that's seemingly unusual for a right hand man and his boss."

He seemed to consider this before speaking, "He's my childhood friend. We grew up together, his mom used to be our housemaid. He's... He's the brother I never had," Alessandro revealed, his voice layered with deep emotion. He paused momentarily, seemingly battling with his thoughts, before continuing, "When my father used to... discipline me, Andrea would stand up for me, he would try and protect me. He was the only one who cared enough to try."

A gasp tore its way from my throat as the image of young Alessandro being 'disciplined' crossed my mind. The ache in my chest made me want to hug him tightly but I managed to limit it to a comforting squeeze on his arm.