45. BRUISING MEDEA'S EGO

Start from the beginning

Everyone was in awe upon sighting this rare beauty. The only one smiling was Medea who had seen it beforehand and knew what to expect. Still, to humour everyone, she exclaimed as loudly and as dramatically as she could. On the other hand, Lyra sat indifferent to everything.

Before handing the ring rarity over, Count Gavin stated,

"...I know that today remains Lady Medea's birthday. However this wonderful day could not have become even more marvellous had I not presented something to our future queen, her Highness Crown Princess Lyra."

He then takes the box from his son and hands over it to Lyra while adding,

"Please accept this humble gift from your servant. I will be quite grateful to you."

"....Gavin...."

Medea hissed in anger as she kept giving death stares to him. He, in return, tried his best to ignore her presence and continued on,

"As for Lady Medea, I have gotten this to celebrate this joyous occasion."

He then presented a china dish that was although not too common, it wasn't rare either and was often used to display as a decoration in nobles' houses.

Medea's forehead twitched as her nails dug deep into her palm, leaving marks. Her anger was fuming as she kept glaring at Baron Gavin. 

Lyra then exclaimed,

"Oh my! This is so out of the ordinary. I sincerely appreciate your kind thoughts, Lord Gavin. However since today is Aunt's birthday, I cannot take away the spotlight from her. It is her day to shine. Therefore while accepting your kind thoughts, I would like to give this to my aunt. Hope that is not considered rude. In return for your kindness, I would like to give you the management of the Le Amor Hotel owned by the Royal Palace."

Everyone's eyes go wide including the Baron who was stunned at this return gift. Owning even one of the hotels meant having a machine that makes bundles of money. What others noticed was the fact that Lyra was so generous and humble that she refused to accept the gift only in her aunt's favour.

"I....thank you, your grace. I have no words to repay to you. I will devote everything to you."

Baron Gavin went on one of his knee and swore an oath to her as Lyra smiled softly,

"It is fine as I will await for results. I hope you won't make me disappointed."

"You can count on me, your Highness."

Medea who was being ignored till now was initially planning to accept the gift from Lyra. However upon hearing the whispers being spread, she could not afford to get her reputation being tarnished any further. What's more is that this nearly seems like she is picking up trash which Lyra left behind. And this is something that goes against her values.

Holding her head eye, she lets out a cough to gain everyone's attention,

"Congratulations, Baron. I wish you all the success. As for my dear Lyra, I appreciate your thoughts however this gift was presented to you therefore you remain the rightful owner. Am I wrong?"

She turns to the guests who all shake their heads. She then adds,

"Please fret not about who takes the spotlight. I wish for you to enjoy everything therefore you deserve this gift."

Lyra nods and smiles in return instead of saying thank you. This once again irritates Medea as she was expecting Lyra to be thankful to her which would make Medea feel like Lyra is accepting something Medea is throwing away.

However contrary to her expectation, Lyra did not react that day. Nevertheless, perhaps luck was on her side, her words did end up improving her reputation.

That evening for the whole gift giving hour, every guest started presenting the gifts they had prepared for Medea to Lyra. Even those whom Lyra had not approached before hand started following the trend.

All attention, all the jewels and all the precious rarities were gifted to Lyra while other gifts bought in a hurry within that hour were handed over to Medea.

Feeling furious and humiliated, Medea abruptly ended the gift giving event and requested everyone to go have dinner.

As all the guests left, Lyra handed all the gifts over to her maids to be taken to her palace.

Medea upon sighting this, stated,

"Hand them here. I will take them to my room."

Lyra's lips curled up as she replied,

"But you stated you did not covet them, no?"

Smiling she then motions her maids to leave as Medea stands there fuming with anger.

__________

CROWN PRINCESS LYRA BELLE DE ANEMOI