21. Mercurial

Princess Lyra Belle de Anemoi ________

________

Chapter 21

After Dylan had gone back, Lyra had been exchanging letters with him quite regularly. Initially, she felt highly self-conscious and would scrap off quite a few letters before finishing and dispatching him one.

Simultaneously, her father had ultimately agreed to give her official duty work. To say she was overjoyed would be an understatement. Finally, she was going to gain a little bit of authority. Although this position came at its own price. The cost of having to divide the work with her elder cousin Wily, who previously overlooked these affairs.

Even if Lyra was annoyed, she wasn't overly besieged since she knew how to strike him out. But first Lyra needed to decide upon what she covets. If she were to embrace this opportunity, it would lead to others being misguided as her accepting her position as the crown princess. And once she accepts her original position, her whole life will be turned upside down.

She definitely does not want to involve herself in such dirty royal politics and would like to stay far away as much as possible but sometimes it cannot be helped. After thinking about it for quite a few days, Lyra decided at least to have a little bit of revenge, find out her father's cure, and then leave. At this point, Dylan's words came to mind. If she were to accept him, she could be with him and move to the territory of Boreas. However, once she leaves the imperial palace, she will not befall a noble anymore. That would cause quite a huge status rift in their relationship. She doesn't thoroughly fathom what to do about him nor what to do about her growing feelings about him.

After settling on what to accomplish, for now, she accepts her position. In the first instance, Aunt Medea scorned her. However, it is as if she had a split personality, she congratulated her wholeheartedly and even sent her gifts on this event which she claimed was a joyous occasion.

Lyra wasn't stupid. She knew they were implementing this because they were already messing up the accounts. Either they are putting an act so that she doesn't investigate anything or they want to wheedle her in the future by placing all the blame on her.

One day she sat in her father's room, going over all the paperwork and accounts for the month. She highlights a few things and then turns to her father who is engrossed poring over a worn ancient book.

Lyra takes in a deep breath as she examines her father's pale face. Even though he looked as if he sustained more energy than yesterday, the truth was far from it. His weight had reduced significantly so much so that you could compare it with a skeleton. His parched lips were cracked just like his fingers once used to be when he used to indulge in sword fights.