45 | 1 step forward, 3 steps back

chapter 45 - 1 step forward, 3 steps back"do you love me, want me, hate me?boy i don't understand"ARYA▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞

"do you love me, want me, hate me?
boy i don't understand"
ARYA
▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞▞

The tour bus feels strangely empty, even with the hum of the engine and the muffled sounds of life on the road outside. I lie in my seat, head against the window as I bathe in the pale light filtering through the curtains, my phone clutched in my hand. Haechan's unread messages cast shadows over my thoughts, leaving a cold, gnawing ache in the pit of my stomach.

Haechan Yesterday 3:55 pm
You with Yoonah yet?

Arya Yesterday 4:01 pm
Just met up with her now, you okay?

"Do you think it's weird that Haechan didn't text me back?" I ask Yoonah as I glance at my phone, realising it's 7:52 am, and there's still no response from the singer in question.

We don't usually text much; Haechan strikes me as more of a 'say it in person' kind of guy. So, the fact that he even sent me a text in the first place leaves me with this lingering, nervous feeling that I can't quite shake.

Yoonah shrugs casually, lifting her water bottle for a sip. "Honestly, he seems like the type to leave girls on 'read' all the time," she remarks. "But, hey, what would I know?"

Her words do nothing to reassure me, and the sinking feeling in my stomach refuses to subside. Haechan had opened up to me last night – even if it was just a little – and now he's being all distant. It's... unsettling.

"He never texts me Yoonah," I explain, "So it must have been important."

"I imagine if it was important he would have texted back, no?"

I know what she's saying makes the most sense, but it's only making me want to rip out my hair or lunge at her.

She sighs, turning in her chair to face me, "What did the text say?"

I show her my phone, and she gives me a look. Her eyebrow arches and her gaze shifts from me to the passing scenery.

"Arya, come on. He might have just been making sure you got to me safely and forgot to text back. People get busy during tours. Maybe he's caught up in something. Don't stress too much about it."

I gnaw at my lip, the worry still lingering. "I get that, but it's just not like him...I don't know."

She tilts her head back to me, considering my words. "Well, he's still breathing and in one piece because he's on the tour bus behind us. It's not like Jisung would have left him in the hotel room is it?"

"No," I sigh, my fingers now drumming nervously on the armrest.

She turns on her side and puts in her earphones, leaving me alone with nothing but my phone and a racing mind. Maybe if I just texted him, he'd answer.