TEST

Magnolia, wake up. Baby, wake up.

Leo’s voice woke me out of my unconsciousness. When I looked, his spirit was standing over me.

I backed away from him, not wanting to accept what I was seeing.

“This can't be real. God, please don’t do this to me!”

I yelled as tears fell from my eyes. The pain in my chest was unbearable, and any hope of living was fading away.

Baby, I need you to be strong and come find me.

Are you really dead?

He slowly gave me a nod and a rage I had never felt before rose within my body. I stopped crying and stood onto my feet.

Where are you?

At Golden Gates Casino. It’s been closed for a few years.

I said no words as I got dressed, put on my boots and hoodie. I took two guns from Leo’s closet and made sure the clips were loaded.

When I walked out the door, Big Jim was walking off the elevator towards me. His arm was in a sling. He had a patch over his left eye, and he was on crunches.

“Take me to Golden Gates Casino.”

He gave me a nod, and we got on the elevator.

“How did they get to Leo?”

“They had his mother.”

We drove through the city, and I had Big Jim take me to the train station.

“I don’t think you should go there by yourself.”

“Leo is there.”

“He is? But we were at the docks.”

“His body is at Golden Gate Casino. Meet me there or not, I don't care.”

I got out of the car and slammed the door. Once I was on the train, my anger wouldn’t let me cry. Nothing mattered to me anymore…family, work, money, freedom or my life.

After an hour on the train, I was walking through a city I’ve never been to before. Leo’s voice gave me directions that led me down the back roads toward the old closed casino. I had no worry about my safety or what was waiting for me in this building.

There was yellow caution tape on the front doors with a padlock. I took out my gun, then unlocked the safety, with Leo’s instruction. I shot the lock off and went inside.

The lights were still on as a coldness filled the air.

Leo, where are you?

I had a tingling feeling when I walked toward the back of the casino floor. When I walked toward the door to the left, I knew he was in there.

When I opened the door, there he was tied to a chair with his head slumped forward.

He had blood all over his clothes. The hurt and anger I felt was indescribable.

“Magnolia?”

I heard Big Jim’s voice calling me.

“He’s in here!”

I touched Leo’s face…he was so cold. Now, so was my heart.

***

It’s been two weeks since I found Leo. I sat in the cafe, sipping my smoothie. I loved the way my ring shimmered on my left hand.

It was sunny outside, and I was in a great mood. Filled with optimism and hope.

My phone buzzed, and I texted my mom back and forth. I got up out of my chair with my smoothie in my hand and walked out of my favorite cafe.

I hailed a cab and got inside. The driver took the address of my destination and my phone rang.

“Hey Joan, what’s up.”

“Everything is still crazy. But how are you?”

“I’m okay…”

“Good. I know it’s hard…but only time heals wounds.”

“Don’t I know it.”

The cab pulled over, and I paid my fee. The sky began to darken with clouds followed by the smell of rain.

“It’s about to pour down soon. I’m glad I was prepared.”

“Yeah, are you inside?”

“No, but I will be soon.”

I walked into this expensive restaurant. The same restaurant Leo and I had our first date.

“Hi miss, how many?” The hostess greeted me.

“Just me.”

I followed the hostess as Joan continued to talk. She has been so supportive of me since day one, and I love her.

“Here you go, enjoy.”

I gave the hostess a nod as she walked away. I told Joan to hold on as I sent a few more text messages.

“Hey, are you still there?”

“Yup, where are you now?” Joan asked.

“Getting something to eat.”

After ten minutes, I saw a familiar car pull up. I got up from the table, then walked to the other side of the restaurant.

POP! POP! POP!

Screams filled the restaurant as I put my gun back in my purse.

“Magnolia! What was that?”

“Nothing, I’ll call you back.”

I walked away as blood poured from the gunshot wound in Max Stokes' forehead and chest.

When I got to my ride, I got in the back seat.

“That was fast…what did you get?”

I kissed Leo’s lips as the driver pulled off.

“A salad. But I didn’t eat it all. How are you feeling today?”

“I’m getting better.”

“Baby, I know you're a werewolf, but you really are healing faster than what the doctor said.”

“Well, yeah…but I’m sure my gorgeous mate has something to do with it too.”

I smiled, and we kissed like it was our first time. Soon, Leo’s phone went off with text messages and phone calls. News in his world travels fast.

“Hello.”

I sat to the side, looking out the window. The rain was now pouring down, and I felt calmness come over me.

You did good.

I smiled at Dottie, looking at me from the front seat.

“Max Stokes is dead? Just now?”

I listened to Leo as Dottie laughed.

I guess I better enjoy my freedom while I can.

You’re not doing any time, trust me.

I gave her a nod, then took off my burgundy lace wig, dark shades, and trench coat. Leo was too indulged in his phone conversation to notice what I was doing.

“Who got him? It was a woman.”

I took a deep breath and enjoyed the rain hitting the window.