FRIENDS

It was good seeing Julien again. It's been a few months since I attended his and his beautiful wife Zena's wedding.

"So, how's married life?"

"It's splendid and always something to do. Is Veronica still stalking you?"

I took a deep breath, and he nodded. Julien was all too familiar with the drama that is my ex-wife. He was more like family than my own and treated me like an older brother.

"And how are your parents?"

"Wonderfully dysfunctional."

"And Adrien?"

"Exhausting."

I smiled at his accurate description. Joan brought in some scotch and other beverages for us as we continued catching up.

"So, are there any babies on the way?"

"No. I enjoy too much of fucking my wife in peace."

I laughed. "Smart man, Mr. Laurent."

We toasted our glasses and drinked.

"Have you heard anything about Merlin's Casino?" He asked.

"Not really...since Dottie passed away I haven't been keeping up."

"I was told that there is a safe underneath the Casino that Merlin has no clue about...but Max Stokes does."

"Wait, he's the attorney that wanted Merlin to not sell and even offered Dottie to partner with him, but she declined."

Julien sipped his drink, allowing me to put the pieces together. I always got bad vibes from Max. He was a wolf in sheep's clothing.

"Would you happen to know what may be in the safe?"

"Yup..."

My eyes widened. "You do?"

Julien pulled out his phone and showed me pictures of stacks on stacks of gold bars.

"It looks like a tomb...not a safe."

"Right. But there's no bodies. The tomb was specifically made for that gold."

"Holy shit...There has to be over a billion dollars worth of gold bars in the tomb."

"And it is my friend. I believe that is why Dottie was murdered. Merlin was ready to put the casino in her name with no questions asked. He was in love with her."

Julien pulled out a rolled up paper from inside his suit jacket. He unrolled it, and there it was....papers drawn up for me to take ownership of the casino from Dottie.

"She planned on signing it over to you once she got it."

My heart dropped because I knew her death wasn't an accident. I immediately thought about what Magnolia told me.

"So, what is Merlin doing now?"

"His health has declined recently, and his dementia is kicking in. Max is trying to get him to sign the casino over to him, but thankfully, I am now the executor of Merlin Scott's estate, last will and testament." He poured us some more scotch.

I was shocked. "What?!"

"Lucky for you, I wear many hats. You can thank me later. So, are you ready to get Dottie's Casino?"

Julien raised his glass, then I raised mine.

"Abso-fucking-lutely."

***

After my little chat with Emma, I made my way up the stairs. There was no need for me to mention anything about her mother. I just started this job, and I don't need her telling the whole building that I see dead people.

When I got off the elevator, Leo and his friend were standing outside his office. I walked over, and Leo smiled when he saw me.

"Julien, this is my new assistant, Magnolia Richards."

"Nice to meet you, Ms. Richards."

We shook hands. "You too."

"Magnolia, how do you like it here so far?" Leo asked.

"It's nice, and everyone seems friendly."

"Good."

"We'll talk, Vinci."

Julien walked away, and my eyes followed. Leo cleared his throat, causing me to look back towards him.

"He's married." Leo said, then walked into his office.

I cursed myself for being thirsty, then followed him and sat down.

The next few hours, I got the passwords to the emails, looked at his schedule for the week, and was given my own work laptop.

"Are you okay with the daily schedule updates?"

"Yes, I'll be fine."

"Good. Let's take a break."

"Okay..."

I sat back, taking a deep breath. It was a lot of information to take in, but it was easy, and I was confident that I would be a great asset to him.

"Magnolia, after our date, you mentioned someone named Dottie to me. How do you know her?"

I sat up straight and took a deep breath. "Promise you won't judge me."

"You have my word."

"Do you believe in the afterlife?"

"Sure."

I huffed. "That's not very convincing."

"Magnolia..."

"Ok...Ok. I can see spirits."

He leaned forward. "Really?"

"Yes."

Leo got up from his desk, closed his office door and the blinds on the office glass wall, then sat back down.

"Can you see her now?"

Before I could answer, a different spirit stood in the corner. It was a young woman. She was crying and mumbling something. Leo looked back, then faced me again.

I loved you...why did you hurt me? Leo, why did you break my heart?

"Magnolia, do you see Dottie?"

I took a hard swallow.

"No, but I see someone else."