MALES

The next few days, I was excited to tour potential apartments for rent.

"Okay, this is our one bedroom, one bath with newly installed carpet, new kitchen appliances and...."

The apartment manager opened doors in the hallway.

"New washer and dryer."

I couldn't contain my excitement. After going to ten locations in three days, this was a pleasant surprise. I checked the bedroom and bathroom, thinking of decorating ideas.

"So what do you think?"

A smile was now on my face. "I'll take it."

Within a week, I had my bedroom furnished, bathroom and kitchen decorated, and supplies stocked.

After work, I went home to talk to my mom and get the last bag of my things.

"Hi, Mommy..."

"There's my baby. How was work?"

We hugged, and my mom smiled at me with pride. She was always so supportive of me and so easy to talk to.

"It was good. Did you talk to Aunt Jackie about Saturday?"

"Yeah, she's still having the cookout. How are you settling in your apartment?"

"Great. My couch and tables should be delivered by next week."

I sat with my mom on the couch. We talk and gossip with a bunch of laughs as usual. Soon, my stepfather, Derrick, walked in with his friend, Cliff, behind him.

"Maggy, what's up, princess?"

"Hey Pop, what you got good in the bag?" I gave him a hug, smelling the delicious food from our fav chicken spot.

Derrick has been in my life since I was five years old and was a wonderful example of manhood. He's the one who taught us how to protect ourselves when he wasn't around.

"Got the family pack." He handed me the bag and kissed on my mom, making her blush.

That was another great thing about Derrick... the way he loves my mother. Their relationship wasn't perfect, but it was beautiful to me.

"I'm surprised you ain't cook, Tanisha," Mr. Cliff said.

My mom smiled. "No, I'm taking a break today."

"I heard you're moving out..."

I wanted to ignore Mr. Cliff, but also wanted to be respectful. He started giving me the creeps when I turned fourteen. I'm sure he's the one that tried to open my bedroom door the night of my parents' party.

"Yup."

"Damn, I remember when you were this big. Running around in barrettes and bows."

He did the thigh-high measurement for height with a smirk on his face. I met his wife and kids before... he had a beautiful family. He acted completely different around them, and I wondered if he was a creeper to anyone else besides me.

I was no longer hungry and went to my room to grab my final bag of things. It was definitely time for me to go.

"Okay, family... I will see y'all this weekend."

"I'll come check out your new place when I get time, princess. I'm sorry, I've been so busy."

"It's okay, Dad. I want the living room to be done before you see it. Then we can have movie night or something at my place."

He smiled. "Deal."

I hugged him and my mom, ready to go. Mr. Cliff stood up like he was next, but I grabbed my bag again.

"Take care, Mr. Cliff."

"Let me help you with that."

"No, I'm good. It's not heavy, but thanks." I smiled without showing teeth and hurried to my car.

I was relieved once I drove off, then felt my stomach growl. Not able to get some of the chicken Pop brought home, I went to the local Chinese food spot.

It wasn't crowded like it usually is, so I should be in and out. I placed my order and stood to the side.

"Magnolia, right?"

I turned toward the voice...it was Stephanie's boyfriend, Niko. My eyes looked behind him, expecting to see her too.

"She's not with me."

"Oh..."

He kept his eyes on me, and I wondered if he was going to order some food.

"You haven't been hanging with Steph lately. How have you been?"

"Busy... but we text every day."

His eyes trailed me from head to toe. "I didn't know you were from around here."

I didn't answer and looked toward the counter for my food.

"Do you see him now?"

"Excuse me?"

"Do you see my brother right now?"

I took a deep breath. "No. Look, Niko, I wasn't trying to upset you before..."

He stood next to me, putting inches between our shoulders. "I know, and I wanna apologize for overreacting. You were just trying to help."

"So, you didn't go to Crescendo?"

"Nah, I went, and my boy got shot. If I had stayed longer, I would've been like him."

"Oh no! Is he okay?"

"Yeah... but still not walking yet."

"So sorry to hear that."

"Food ready." The woman from the counter announced.

I paid and grabbed my food while Niko followed me outside. A man sat in the passenger seat of his car. I unlocked my car door.

"Did my brother tell you anything else that day?"

"No, but I promise if he ever does, I'll tell you."

He smiled, then hugged me. "Thanks, Mag."

I quickly pulled away, feeling uncomfortable. "Anytime."

"Hey, you gotta man?!" His friend shouted from outside of the car.

Niko's face frowned. "Yeah, get the fuck back in the car before I make you walk."

His friend sucked his teeth. "Yeah, whatever."

I got in mine and shut the door. I rolled down the window, then put on my seatbelt.

"You should come hang out sometime."

"Maybe. The next time Steph invites me...."

I was interrupted.

"I was talking about hanging with me. I'm curious as to why I've never seen you and you're from my city. Plus, I think you're gorgeous."

I sighed. "Not cool, Niko."

"I'm just being honest..." He bit his bottom lip.

"Well, I gotta go."

"Yeah okay...I'll see you again."

I drove off without a reply.

Bzzz...Bzzz.

My phone went off, and I answered.

"Hey girl."

It was Stephanie, and she sounded sad.

"Hey, are you okay?"

She began to whine. "Girrrl...I'm so depressed right now. Niko broke up with me yesterday."

I shook my head.

What is wrong with these males out here?