TRUST

My heart pounded inside my chest, and I tried to be as quiet as I could. Niko was outside of my door, and I was freaking out.

KNOCK! KNOCK!

"I know you're home. I just wanna talk."

His voice could be heard behind the door. I kept crying, contemplating if I should wait for Leo or call the police. Never in my wildest dreams did I think my friend's ex would start harassing me.

"Stop being scared, Mag. I'm not gonna hurt you...I would never hurt you."

His words met nothing to me as I held on to my mace.

THUMP! THUMP! THUMP!

"Open the fucking door!"

Now he was banging, causing me to run in the opposite direction. I dialed 911, ready to press the call button. I looked out the sliding doors to my balcony then I saw a familiar car pull up.

Leo got out of the car and my hands shook. I wasn't sure if I was leading him into danger or not. But I was scared of what Niko might do to him.

"Come on, Mag. I got a present for you."

The way he switched his anger on and off was terrifying. After those words, I heard Niko yell, then a thumping sound against my door. I waited for a good ten minutes.

"Magnolia, open the door. It's Leo."

I ran to the door and opened it. Niko was gone and before Leo could say anything I jumped into his arms, hugging him tight. My tears covered my face while he walked inside with my legs wrapped around his waist.

He closed and locked the door then continued to hold me.

"It's okay...I'm here." Leo's hands rubbed my back.

His deep voice was so soothing and calmed my fear. My breathing slowed but I still held on to him.

"I'm sorry for getting you involved with this bull crap."

"No sweetheart. I volunteered."

I unwrapped my legs and held onto his hand tight. We sat on my couch and I nestled into his arm.

"Who was that guy? An ex..."

"No, he's my friend's ex."

"What?" He looked confused.

"Was he looking for her or something?"

"No, he was here for me. Niko has been trying to get with me for the past few months. He got my number somehow and I had to block him a few times."

"Did you tell her?"

"No, she may blame me. Especially since they're still sleeping together."

"Well, he's gone for now. That doesn't mean he'll stay away for good."

I began to cry again and Leo held me tight. His arms felt safe but what was I going to do when he left?

"Pack some clothes..."

I sniffled then sat up. "What?"

"You're coming to my place. Pack some clothes."

"You don't have to do that."

"I wasn't asking, Magnolia."

With those words, I got up and did what I was told. I grabbed my suitcase and packed a week's worth of stuff. This was my opportunity to get away and feel safe again.

Leo grabbed my suitcase and I locked up before we left. While we drove to his place I fell asleep. My thoughts were filled with Niko's face and getting into my place.