ASSUME

Magnolia was breathtaking. Her soft voice and shy demeanor were welcoming, and her feminine energy turned me on instantly. Soon, Veronica stood outside watching our interaction.

My phone buzzed. It was my secretary, Joan. She probably was reminding me about my meeting. My driver pulled up as I answered the phone.

"Hi Joan, Stan just arrived. Thank you, I'm on my way."

I pulled out my card and gave it to Magnolia.

"I have to go but please call me anytime. I would love to get to know more about you, if that's okay?"

"Yes, that's fine." She blushed again.

I smiled. "Thank you. I look forward to your call."

Stan opened the back door, and I got inside. Magnolia's perfume still lingered in my nose, and I didn't want it to go away.

"Boss, Mr. Walsh called, saying he needs an update on the property in Frisco."

Dave Walsh was a good friend of mine and was my go-to guy for cash cow investments. He also was a pain in the ass.

"Vinci! Where the hell have you been? I've been calling you all day." His voice blasted through my phone.

"Hey...I've been busy. I'm actually on my way to a meeting now."

"Busy, huh? Yeah.. whatever. What's with Frisco?"

"I thought Torelli already put a bid in?"

"And if he did? Who gives a shit...he doesn't have the vision you have for that space."

I smirked because he was right.

"Okay, well, go ahead and put my bid in. You already know my limit, so I trust your judgment."

"You know I got you. It's time to make some pretentious assholes mad."

I laughed. "Don't hurt them too bad."

"I will call you in a few days. In the meantime, pick the best restaurant to celebrate."

"Got you."

We hung up, and I was optimistic that Dave would get me a great deal on the Frisco property.

For the next few hours, I sat in meetings with my mind somewhere else. I wondered if I would hear from Magnolia and already had our first date planned in my head.

"You can't go in there!"

I heard the sound of my secretary's voice. A man walked in, covered in face tattoos, jeans, leather jacket, and dark shades. He obviously didn't belong in this meeting.

"Which one of you is Leo Vinci?"

I stayed seated. "How can I help you?"

"Are you him?"

My eyes looked around the conference table. I could see the worry on my colleagues' faces.

"Can I get some privacy with...." I looked at the man and waited for his name.

"Mateo."

Everyone got up and left the conference room while I remained seated. For many others, he would seem intimidating, but I've seen and dealt with worse.

"What can I do for you?"

"Your father had my casino put under investigation, and now I'm losing money. I need to be compensated."

"What makes you believe that was my father's doing?"

"Your pop gets taken in by the Feds, then all of a sudden there's a string of investigations on his competition....that's not a coincidence."

"No, that means you were already on the watch list, and now they're making rounds."

Mateo walked closer to the table, then put his hands in his jean pockets. His gun peeked from behind his leather jacket.

"How was he able to only get probation?"

"The Feds thing was about some unpaid taxes, and he's not sloppy when it comes to certain business dealings. None of the money my family has made from our casino is illegal."

"Ha! Bullshit. The Vinci family is very deep in this crime world shit. Your pop just knows the right people...probably did a few payoffs."

I smirked. "You wish."

"Nah, I know. The underground talks and your pop is now known for being a snitch."

"Watch yourself."

He shrugged. "I'm just speaking the truth. No one respects your family, and honestly...me killing you would be too easy."

I began to laugh at his tough guy antics. He didn't join in, so I take it he was offended.

"So, are we supposed to be scared to walk the streets now?" I entertained his behavior.

"That's on you and your rat father."

In an instant, I jumped out of my seat and twisted Mateo's arm behind his back. His gun was already in my hand. Him struggling to get out of my hold was in vain.

"I already told you to watch yourself, Mr. Mateo. I don't like repeating myself."

The sound of cracking came as I squeezed his wrist.

"AAAH!"

I let his arm go and hit the side of his head with the butt of his gun. It only took one hit to make his body hit the floor.

"Get up, Mr. Mateo. I didn't hit you that hard."

He got up, staggering, and I slapped him across the face.

"Get yourself together and focus. I want you to hear everything I'm about to tell you."

He surrendered, putting his hands up at chest level while breathing heavily.

"You have not only disrespected me but my father, my family, my colleagues, and my place of business. And now I need to be compensated."

I grabbed my pen, stabbing him in his right eye. The only thing that kept me from killing him was his satisfying screams of agony.

"AAAAHHH!!!! FUCK!!!"

I closed my eyes, enjoying the smell of his blood in the air and the sounds of him crying like a terrified female.

"Oh my! Mr. Vinci, should I call paramedics?!"

Joan rushed in, then stared at Mateo on the ground. Blood leaked through the fingers of the hand covering his eye.

My eyes were now open. "No, Joan. Call security...Mr. Mateo is going to need help exiting the building. He'll figure the rest out himself."

"Yes, Sir."

"Oh and Joan, call the cleaning crew and tell them to hurry...he's getting blood all over the carpet."