DELUSION

All my hope of maybe reconciling with Stephanie went out the window once she aimed the gun at me.

I could sense Leo's wolf spirit around but couldn't see him. I'm sure it took him a lot of energy to protect me from Niko.

I leaned my back against the wall while Stephanie held the gun with a shaking hand. The hate in her eyes was felt, and I knew one of us wasn't getting out of there alive.

"You took everything from me."

"No, I didn't."

"He was my world...look what you fucking did."

"Steph, you're not thinking straight."

"Bitch, don't play with me!"

"How could I possibly cause those wounds on Niko?"

I slid down to the floor. She kept the gun on me.

"Were you here this whole time?"

"No. I put a tracker on his car to know when he got home. I wanted to talk to him in person since he blocked my calls."

I shook my head. While Niko was stalking me, Stephanie was stalking him.

"He forgot to lock the front door. Probably too excited about fucking you."

"He was trying to rape me."

The gun went off hitting the painting on the wall. I ducked from the impact then looked up to see Stephanie with wide eyes. She was just as scared as I was.

"You should put the gun down."

She shook her head. "No, you're gonna pay for ruining my life!"

Now she was feeling confident in herself. I could hear a low growl coming from the corner of the room.

"Stephanie, you don't have to do this. Please put the gun down."

The gun went off again, hitting the wall a few feet from my head. I screamed as I ducked again. She was really trying to kill me.

"You think you're better than me because Niko wanted you! But you're not the only girl he tried to fuck."

My breathing was heavy as I watched her be delusional. I realized that she was mentally too far gone, and nothing I could say would make her see the truth.

"I never wanted Niko."

"Then why didn't you tell me about him trying to talk to you when it first happened? I was grieving over his accident and you decided to tell me then...you're such a bitch!"

Leo's wolf spirit was beginning to take form and I knew if Stephanie didn't put the gun down she was going to end up like Niko.

"Look how you act about him. You really expected me to trust telling you that Niko was harassing me?!"

She lowered the gun. "I was your friend!"

My hurt came to the surface. Soon tears were falling down my face and I slowly stood up onto my feet.

"Yeah and when I told my FRIEND her man was harassing me, she told me I was lying!"

"Fuck you, Magnolia! I was going through a lot! Fuck you!"

Stephanie pointed the gun at me again and my body shook from fear. Then I saw Leo's wolf spirit move closer, watching for her next move.

"You need to call 911."

"Niko's already dead. Then once I kill you, I'll off myself."

"Stephanie don't."

"I'm done talking to you, bitch."

She fired the gun and my body hit the wall hard behind me. My chest burned and I could hear Stephanie's screams fill the room.

She abruptly went silent as my vision blurred and the sound of sirens came in the distance. Then everything went black.

***

I took the earliest flights I could get. My rage was simmering at the image I saw of Magnolia. My spirit wolf should be with her, but that wasn't helping me calm.

Julien and Big Jim took over since there was no way for me to focus on anything besides my mate, my love...my world.

After a day of flying, I was able to get a better signal on my phone. I drove from the airport, trying to connect with my spirit wolf, but nothing was happening.

But then all my notifications started coming in, and one of the voice messages was from an unknown number. I pulled over on the shoulder of the highway to listen.

Hi Leo, this is Magnolia's mom. She's in Mercury Hospital for a gunshot wound. She's stable, but you were the first person she asked for when she awoke yesterday.

I hung up and sped off down the highway. There was no way to describe the feeling I was going through.

Someone tried to kill her.

Both hands squeezed the steering wheel, then I felt my wolf spirit return to me. If he had waited a few more seconds, I would have broken the steering wheel into pieces.

His presence calmed me by showing me images of Magnolia lying in the hospital bed talking to a woman I assumed was her mother.

She smiled, and I exhaled my relief.

Within 20 minutes, I pulled up into the hospital parking lot. I walked into the hospital, trying to avoid bumping into people. It was kind of crowded, but my height and size allowed me to get through with no problem.

"I'm here to see Magnolia Rich...."

Before I could finish, the nurse spoke. "Leo Vinci?"

"Yes."

"Room 44... she's been asking about you, and I see why."

Her words made me grin as I walked onto the elevator. When I got off and walked around the corner, I saw two cops standing outside her room.

I walked up to them, and they moved to the side, giving me a nod. Questions filled my thoughts, but all I wanted to do was see Magnolia.

"Leo!"

I smiled at her, trying to get out of bed.

"No, no, baby... relax, don't move. I'm coming to you."

She tried to reach for a hug and winced in pain. I kissed her lips, then looked into her eyes. A bandage covered the wound on her head and another wrapped around her chest.

"Who did this to you?"

"Niko, he's dead. My ex-friend, Stephanie. She is in the ICU."

I growled. "She's still alive?"