NEED

I was deep in the Underground world, plotting my next move. My best action was to not move with a group of my men since that would bring too much attention.

Max Stokes was informed that I was running, which works perfectly for his ego. He'll assume I'm afraid and send more of his people to look for me.

I'm only coming out once he's lured to neutral territory. Neither of us has allies here, so it would be perfect for a one on one meet-up.

My only setback was that I had no phone connection here. This means no way to talk to Magnolia.

Knowing she is without my protection is making me stay on edge, so my wolf decided to leave and be with her without my permission. He probably was losing his mind more than me. Especially since I claimed her.

I walked into the cathedral to see Father Myers. He was the safe ground for men like myself. There was no violence tolerated here at all, so it gave me time to clear my head.

"Leonidas Vinci. It's good to see you."

His voice always gave me comfort when I was a teen. I greeted him with respect and took a seat on one of the pews.

"Father Myers, it's good to see you too."

"I would say this is a happy occasion, but I know better. Who is on your to-do list this time?"

I smirked. He knew me well.

"Max Stokes."

"Ah yes... I knew this was to happen. I give my condolences to you. Your father was a devoted family man."

His words didn't bring me comfort. They made me want to rip Max's heart from his body.

"He keeps sending his men to search for me. I want him to face me himself."

"You know he's not dumb enough to do such a thing."

"He should be brave enough to face me."

"Leonidas...if he was... he would have gone after you instead of your father. Cowards never care about how they win as long as they win."

I took a deep breath.

"Something else seems to be troubling you."

"Yes."

Father Myers walked towards me. "You have claimed someone."

"I have."

"Your mate is touched with heightened senses. She is a spirit magnet of not only the departed humans but other supernatural beings. She would be highly sought after here in the underworld."

I looked at him.

"And from the look in your eyes, you are very protective and possessive about her. It is good to see you so invested in something other than work and violence."

The double doors of the cathedral began to open. I sat looking forward, waiting for the new visitor.

"Welcome," Father greeted.

There was no reply, but I could smell four different body scents behind me. Still no Max Stokes.

Father Myers placed his hand on top of my head. "No mercy given for it will not be given to you. Be well, my son."

I stood as he walked away, and that was my cue to go through the back way of the church. It was isolated from the sanctuary and wide open for confrontation.

No rules would be broken behind the building... I was ready.

***

I was getting a bunch of work emails and decided to go into the office to take care of some things.

Joan was doing an amazing job while Leo and I were away, but I could see the relief on her face when she saw me.

We hugged, and I let her know that he was fine.

A few calls were from Veronica and Karina, crying and wanting to know Leo's whereabouts. Joan informed them that he was out of town for business and hung up.

I was not in the head space to talk to them, so I left that headache for Joan. Most of my day consists of rescheduling meetings, answering emails, and sending out letters.

Time went by quickly, and I wished I had my car. I didn't want to take another cab so I decided to drive the company car. This would be my first time using it.

I grabbed the keys from Leo's desk drawer, then said my goodbyes to Joan. There were still no updates from Leo, but I remained optimistic.

When I got to the parking garage, I pressed the car remote. I saw tail lights flash then walked towards it.

He knows you're here.

I look to see a familiar boy spirit standing a few feet from me. My eyes widened when I realized who he was.

Run away.

I turned to run back to the elevator but was blocked.

"Hey, Mag. I miss you."

Niko stood in front of me, I was frozen in fear and disbelief. He grabbed my arm and then opened his jacket. A gun was on his waist.

"We're going to take a ride."

"Niko, please don't." My voice trembled.

"Chill Mag, it's going to be fun."