The Snake and the Lion

So for English class we had to write and ending for this story called "Most Dangerous Game". It's really good and it's short so it doesn't take that long to read. So General Zaroff owns this little island and is this great hunter. Rainsford falls off his yacht whilst passing by the island and go to shore. Zaroff said Rainsford should go hunting with him, but the hunt is actually human beings not animals. Rainsford manages to last over three days in the hunt and Zaroff is like "it's not over yet". So this is the scene immediately following the part where Rainsford wins the "most dangerous game".

---------------

General Zaroff slithered around Rainsford with loathing eyes. How could this young man have escaped him without a scratch on him? And how did he have the nerve to not only come back to his house but challenge his life? The General did admire Rainsford's audacity, but not enough to let him go without a proper battle.

"Splendid!" The General smiled devilishly at Rainsford.

"One of us is to furnish a repast for the hounds. The other will sleep in this excellent bed." The General bowed his head in respect for his opponent. "On guard, Rainsford."

General Zaroff turned on his heel and unlocked his mahogany doors. Rainsford followed behind with his heart beating in his ears. He tried to ignore the pinching pain that formed in his muscles when he walked. He was weary from swimming and waiting for the General to finally return to bed. Although Rainsford was in physical and mental pain, he pushed his shoulders back and straightened up to be as intimidating as Zaroff. If he could outsmart and defeat his enemy once, he could surly do it again.

The General led Rainsford to a hall that he was not familiar with. Sure he didn't know all the grand and lavish corners of the mansion, but there was something different about where the General was leading him.

The  hallway seemed to close in on the two males to the point where Rainsford could not outstretch his arms without touching the walls. Even the ceiling was descending closer to their heads.

When Zaroff reached a red door at the endless hall, he turned the knob gingerly, as if to keep whatever terror that was sleeping on the other side undisturbed.

"Keep close, Rainsford. We wouldn't want you getting lost now." The General's voice was soothing like a violin but Rainsford could still taste the venom in his words.

When the two gentlemen walked through the door, they were met with a black, cold air that ran through to the skin under their shirts. General Zaroff reached out to his left and flicked a switch that was placed three feet off the ground. The lights flickered and struggled to illuminate the room. But when the lights finally came on, Rainsford wished for the darkness again.

Before them were six cages. There were three on each side of the room with a few feet of walking space in between. In the cages were folded up beings that looked like humans but were gaunt with dirty and pale completions. Three men were in each cage and all looked like they'd rather be six feet under with a tomb stone over their resting places. The eighteen men turned their heads to Rainsford and begged him with their eyes to save them.

"I thought you said you kept your prey well fed and in training for hunting." Rainsford talked to the back of the General's neck.

"I do. This lot here is for the days of sloth, when I haven't the energy to go out and hunt. Instead I come here and watch them beg for the mercy of death. Usually, I'd have Ivan wear them out first and then I'd take over from there. I'm not just a brute who only dabbles in the art of hunting. No, I've also trained many years in the art of fencing. A beautiful sport, really. Much more graceful then the hunt but I'm afraid it's just not as exhilarating."