Ouch

Sam's pov

"Of course, sir. I apologize. That'll be $74.35," the cashier replied in a professional businesslike tone, trying to regain her composure.

After paying and pocketing the change, I thanked her quite curtly before grabbing our cart and Katie's hand as we left.

When we got home, Katie practically jumped out of the car before I even put it in park and then she started running for the front door.

"Hey! Hold up, Jellybean," I shouted, stopping her in her tracks.

She quit running but didn't turn around.

"Katie, get back here and help me with the bags," I called out. I wasn't angry, I just wanted a little assistance to make things go faster.

I saw her shoulders slump and heard the dramatic exhale before she voiced her concerns.

"UGGGHHH! Why can't you do it, Uncle Sammy?" she whined, before reluctantly dragging her tiny fifty pound body back to where I stood at the trunk of the car.

"Good Lord, you'd think I was asking you to do algebra for fun," I snarked. "What's with all the attitude today, little one?"

My lovely niece rolled her eyes at me as she placed her hands on her hips and proved my previous statement, replying, "I'm here to help you with the stupid bags like you asked. What more do you want?"

Oh my gosh, she is so my brother's kid. The attitude, the sarcasm, and the posturing all add up to one mini Dean.

Chuckling and shaking my head, I calmly responded, "What I'd like is for you to take these two bags and put them on the kitchen counter." I handed Katie two of the lightest bags, adding, "Then come back out with me and grab a couple more."

"Fine," she griped, snatching the bags from my hands and stomping off towards the door.

After repeating the process a few more times, we finally had all the groceries inside so I started unpacking the bags and putting things away.

"Can I go up to my room now?" Katie asked, maintaining her annoyed attitude.

"No, you can help put some of the groceries away first, please and thank you." I smiled, handing her the bag with the boxes of breakfast cereal.

"Whatever," mini Dean replied, sliding the boxes onto the shelf towards the bottom of the pantry. "I can't get this one in, Uncle Sammy. It won't fit." Katie tried roughly shoving the last box in, despite the resistance she was getting from the inflexible shelving system.

"Hey, hey! You're gonna crush all the cereal," I cautioned, grabbing the box from her hands. "Kneel down and check if you can see what's blocking the spot."

I got the dramatic sigh and eye roll again but Katie got down on the floor like I asked, to peer underneath the shelf.

"It's the stupid oatmeal blocking the spot," she replied, successfully completing her recognizance mission. After moving the offending object, she stood up to grab the cereal box from me.

Seeing a candy bar slide out of the pocket of her hoodie, my jaw hit the floor and my eyes widened in shock. It was as if the horrific, gruesome scene unraveling before me played out in slow motion.

"Is that..." I stammered, unable to finish voicing my thoughts out loud due to my complete and utter disbelief, despite the implications assigned to the seemingly benign chocolate treat staring back at me from the floor.

My niece looked at me and gulped audibly before taking off at a fast sprint to her room.

"KATHERINE ROSE WINCHESTER, YOU ARE IN SO MUCH TROUBLE, LITTLE GIRL!"