Interference

Amy's pov

Patting my hand in return, Rachel replied, "Yes, sis, I know that in your own delusional way, you're trying to help me."

I sat back and smiled, relieved I was finally getting through to my stubborn, unyielding sibling.

Bursting that utopian bubble, Rachel added her caveat.

"But I also know I'm a grown-ass woman and I can make my own decisions when it comes to the men I date, or in this case, the men I fuck."

"Rachel!" I shouted, admonishing her for her crude choice of language.

Just like she did a thousand times when we were growing up, my baby sister rolled her eyes at me dismissively.

"What?" she questioned facetiously, knowing damn well why I wasn't happy with her choice of phrasing.

I simply frowned in response. Somethings will never change and my sister's gutter worthy potty mouth even a salty sailor would blush at, is one of those things. Uncle Bobby must have whipped her ass a hundred times for swearing when we were kids but it still never did the trick of putting a stop to her love of foul language. Mom even used to wash our mouths out with soap but it still never stopped Rachel from having such a colorful vocabulary.

Distracting me from my trip down memory lane, my little sister snapped, "Let's just agree to disagree on this one, counselor. Ok?"

Sighing heavily, I replied, "Fine, I'll drop it..." Rachel gave me a smug satisfied look. "For now," I stipulated, wiping that grin off her face. "But only because I have to get Drew to his dentist appointment." Wagging my finger at her, I warned, "No promises for later, though."

"Whatever," Rachel replied, rolling her eyes and shaking her head, pretending to be annoyed with me being all big sisterly as she always liked to say, but I could still see the smile she was hiding underneath, knowing she secretly loves how overprotective I am of her. At least I hope she loves that I want to protect her from herself when it's for her own good.

"I'm ready, Mommy," we heard Drew call out from the living room.

"Ok, baby. I'm in the kitchen with Aunt Rachel," I shouted back, so he wouldn't start frantically searching the house for me, yelling and waking up his big brother and sister.

"Hi, Aunt Rachel," Drew greets my sister, climbing onto her lap, shoving his favorite Paw Patrol character in her face.

"Hi, baby. Who's this?" Rachel asks, taking the figure from his hand.

"That's Marshall. He's a fire dog," Drew explained to his aunt.

"Oh I see, he's got his uniform on. He must have a very important job. How cool," Rachel gushed, sweetly showing interest in Drew's toy.

"Uh huh," Drew agreed, nodding. "Are you coming to the dentwist (dentist) with us, Aunt Rachel?"

"Well, uh..."

Interrupting to let my little sis off the hook, I told Drew, "No, sweetie, Aunt Rachel has some important business she has to take care of before she goes back home to Colorado. Dont you, sis?" I asked, prompting her agreement with my raised eyebrows and head nod.

"Oh yeah, um that important business I have to take care of," Rachel played along. "Sorry, bud, I can't come with, but if you behave for your mom and get a good report from the dentist, I'll take you out for ice cream this afternoon. Ok?"

"YAY! ICE CREAM!" Drew shouted excitedly. "Can I get a sundae with spwinkles (sprinkles)?"

"Of course you can," Rachel replied, as if it wasn't even an option.