That Did Not Go As Planned

Adam drove a red range rover that he randomly picked from his parent's garage, while Rumi sat next to him in the front passenger seat.

She forgot to ask him where they were going before. But could you blame her?

The Adam she knew yesterday and the one she is going out with today were like two different persons.

It was commonplace for people to change after awakening.

Rumi and her parents were a perfect example of this.

Since their powers allowed them to obtain animal characteristics each of them had developed personalities that resembled animal traits once they awakened.

'Now that I think about it, rabbits are not aggressive by nature. They only become like that during the breeding season, but they are very well-mannered the rest of the time unless provoked.'

Taking a quick side glance at Rumi, Adam couldn't help but snort mockingly.

' Is she always in heat then~?'

" So, where are we going?"

Rumi asked, halting Adam's delusions.

"*Cough* Right, I forgot about that."

His sudden embarrassment put a smile on Rumi's face, who figured he must have been daydreaming about something weird.

"So?" Asked Rumi with that same smile.

" The Hunter's Association Center. I want to a get hunter's license by today. I can't become one without it, don't you think?"

Rumi opened her eyes in surprise, and a sudden worry came to her mind.

"Adam."

" I know. They wouldn't pay you guys so much if it wasn't a tough job, I know what I'm getting into."

Rumi took a deep sigh and leaned back on her sit. It looked like warning him was unneeded.

" Dad won't like this."

" I'll talk to pops later. I know he worries about me but I'm an awakened adult now. He has to get over it."

" You know that's not it, Adam."

He could see Rumi's sad expression from the corner of his eyes, which automatically told him what she meant.

"I've gone over this countless times for the past ten years already. What happened that day wouldn't have been prevented even if he wasn't out of town. If anything, I'm happy he wasn't, I would've lost him too otherwise."

As soon as these words came out of Adam's mouth a loving smile found its place on Rumi's tanned face, washing her sadness away.

The way he cared for his family, which consisted of her and her parents, was one of the things that she loved about him the most.

No matter how much time passes, or how much he changes, his family will always be his most precious treasure.

" You have changed, Adam."

"Do you hate it?"

Rumi shook her head lightly. Her eyes never left Adam as he carefully drove the SUV.

" No, I love it."

" That's good then."

....

" And here we are."

Adam found himself standing right in front of a fifty-floored building.

The sunlight reflected perfectly on the windowed edification which seemed to be made out of glass. Most guilds that could afford it had a similar infrastructure for their bases, but the majority would pale in comparison to this gigantic building in terms of size and luxury.