Little One

The void.

A spaceless plane where nothing resides.

To all, the void is and will always be a mystery.

Many have tried to reach it, in hopes of increasing their strength beyond their limits.

As the only unexplored portion of the universe that remains there's no supernatural being whose greed isn't enticed by it.

No one knows what's in it, they can only speculate and throw guesses around.

Some say that the key to obtaining true omnipotence lies there.

Others believe that reaching the void would allow you to uncover the truth of the universe and all of its secrets.

And so, the list of speculations keeps growing as time passes, with no one being able to confirm anything.

....

In between the void and the ever-expanding universe lies a place that is vital for life itself.

One can't see it from the outside, and only a few gods can freely enter this plane. Only they would be able to see this dimension from within.

A white space beyond what the eyes could see encompassed the entire plane known as "Limbo", a plane where the souls of the deceased were examined and judged to determine their destiny.

The most benevolent ones would go to easy-to-live worlds while the souls of criminals and bad doers would go to hellish places.

One thing to notice is that no soul was erased.

What makes a person "evil" was not the soul, but the experiences that person goes through.

By sending souls that accumulated negative karma to these harsh places, these souls would be placed in a type of trial.

If by the time they came back to the Limbo again no positive change was perceived then that soul would be considered as impure and it would have to go through a process of purification, losing any remnants of any previous lives it lived.

A process that every soul at some point had to go through as it was impossible to remain good forever.

Purifying a soul was the closest thing to erasing it so it was a last resort in most cases.

After all, the more a soul lived the better its quality was but purifying it would reset these lives in a sense, making the soul inferior to how it was.

It may not seem like a big deal, but higher beings put a lot of importance on souls.

If their quality declined too much the energy these beings would collect later on would do the same.

This is why the strongest gods had the best souls residing in their worlds.

Countless souls were waiting in line as the ones in front were judged.

" Mmh, your karma seems fine, though I can see you had a significant drop in your last life. Mmh~ what to do, what to do ?"

A translucent being, a female based on her voice, sat behind what seemed to be a businessman's desk. As she examined the soul closely the latter remained motionless in place.

" *Sigh* Whatever, a neutral place will do for you. If you come back later on as a good boy, I might send you to a higher-tier world. Bye bye ~"

With a swing of her ethereal hand, the soul vanished and entered the reincarnation cycle of its appointed new world.

The female entity's day continued like this until she stopped at a specific soul, as a spark of nostalgia reflected in her eyes.

" You again?"