Chapter 19: Dark Magic

I was sitting on the edge of the cliff we decided to rest at, Bait and Nyx were watching me as I studied the cube in my hand. I rolled the cube over to Bait, it landed with the Sun rune facing upwards as it glowed. I repeated the process a few times before picking it up and studying the Sky rune. 

I glanced towards Nyx and Bait before pointing it towards them. "Do you guys have any idea of what this thing is?" I asked. Bait let out a snort as he lowered himself to the ground, Nyx just stared at the cube before looking away. "Callum mentioned it being a key, but a key to what? I'm pretty sure this won't fit in a keyhole.." I spoke before looking at the cube again, trying to find something that would help me.

"You practicing magic or are you loosing to Bait and Nyx at a game of rolley-cubes." I turned around to see Rayla walking towards me. "Magic, I think." I replied as Rayla sat down and let her legs hang over the edge. "I am making some progress though. It's definitely a lot running through my head, but I need a way to bring it all together."  I explained.

"Like a breakthrough?" I nodded. "Exactly." When I had rolled the the cube onto the floor again, it pointed towards Rayla and the Moon rune glowed brightly. I picked up the cube back up and looked at the Moon rune. "What about you? You were born with the Moon Arcanum." I looked up towards Rayla.

"Uh, I suppose so." 

"So when you use your moon powers, you're connecting to the moon, right? What does it feel like?" I honestly felt Callum's love for magic thing was contagious. Never in my life would I expect to actually be interested in learning more about magic.

"Uh, I don't really think about it. I just stand in the light of the full moon, and then there's a feeling like.." She mimicked a whooshing sound and used her hands to more exaggerate what she was trying to describe. "And then there's a sort of... Ting!" Rayla quickly stood up with her head craned up towards the night sky. "And then.. Moonshadow powers!" She yelled, her voice echoing out.

Rayla put her hands on her hips and then looked back down towards me. "Does that help?" I shook my head. "No, not at all. But I enjoyed it!" I replied giving her a smile. Our conversation continued, though it ended up being a little stressful when we got to talking about Xadia.

I covered my face with my hands. "Rayla, we saw a dragon in the clouds yesterday. Imagine what everything will be like when we actually get into Xadia." My mind then travelled to the border, which was a very real river of lava. "Crossing the border will only be even worse." 

"Eh, well.. maybe not." She spoke looking over to me. I lifted my head and looked over at her. "It's a river of lava. Lava that is not an illusion." I spoke before looking out into the forest. "One does not simply walk into Xadia." I finished with a defeated sigh. 

"Actually, one does simply walk into Xadia." I glanced over to her. "There's a secret path, the Moonstone path. It'll be safe and easy, even for you, magic or no magic." She assured placing a hand on my shoulder. "Just come and try to get some rest." She had looked me in the eye, and I swear that I had spoken before I could even think. "Alright, fine." I blinked, a little surprised by my response before just brushing it off. "I'll try to get some sleep." I said with a smile, standing up. 

I was staring up at the large piece of rock that provided as cover for us while we slept. Unsurprisingly, I didn't fall asleep, I had been staring up at the large rock for at least an hour now. I sat up and deciding to just stare out into the forest that was in front of the cliff. 

There was a loud roar that seemed to go on for miles, I turned my head in the direction it came from. Rayla had quickly woken up, and sat up straight with a worried look in her eyes. "Oh, no. I know that sound. That's not a good sound." A very tired Callum and Ezran sat up trying to wipe away their drowsiness. Rayla got up and ran off, me and Callum  quickly followed her.