Chapter 6: Fading Away

I woke up early. I could feel Nyx next to me as I felt exhaustion be the first to strike me. I got up and walked to the river, I splashed my face with some water before quickly moving away to be sure a giant fish creature wouldn't jump up and eat me.

I walked back to the spot and noticed Rayla missing. I looked around, she was no where to be seen. I walked towards the forest and used an arrow to mark the trees so I could find my way back. I couldn't find or hear anything for a good 5 minutes.

Then, there it was. A loud masculine-type scream was heard. I only managed to catch a glimpse of them falling off the cliff. I quickly turned back. It'd be best to not show myself to anyone and risk the chance of having the egg be taken.

I walked back in the clearing and saw Ezran and Callum there. I watched them for a moment before going to grab my stuff.

"Go, go, go! We've got to move."

Rayla rushed running into the clearing. Callum and Ezran quickly spoke up.

"What's going on? Where were you?"

"We should eat something first. Look how grumpy Bait is right now."

"There's no time!"

I placed Nyx into my bag and stood up. Nyx wasted no time in poking her head out to see all the drama.

"We have to go now."

"Rayla, why? You have to explain-"

Callum was interrupted as Rayla shoved his bag into his hands.

"I don't have to explain anything to you. Let's go!"

"Fine. Fine!"

We rushed off. I noticed they left that bread behind, thank the lord. I didn't want to be loosing teeth because of some stale bread.

Rayla took us up a mountain. Ezran looked to be struggling a bit with carrying the egg, but he didn't let any of us carry it so that's his own problem.

"Wait. This path is too easy."

"No it's not. Its the exactly right amount of easy."

Callum said. Rayla stepped in front of us so we could stop.

"No. It's well-worn, it's flat, it's soft. Sooner or later, we're going to run into somebody."

She pointed up a steep path that was covered by the mountain.

"We need to go up that way. Tougher terrain is safer for us. The tougher the better."

"That just sounds like a waste of energy."

I groaned. Ezran slumped down.

"This is already tough enough! Do you have any idea how heavy this egg is?"

"No, I don't. because you won't trust me to carry it!"

Callum stepped in.

"Well, should we trust you? Have you told us the truth about everything."

"Oh my gosh, you two both have pretty hair and have pretty faces let's just get this over with! I'm tired of hearing you guys argue."

I just walked up the path and left them there. Soon I looked behind me to see them following. Good, at least they can follow some directions. After about an hour of walking, we reached the top of the mountain. Rayla stretched her arms. Ezran and Bait flopped down onto the ground.

"Alright, let's stop and eat. I'm starving."

Callum looked through his bag and then slowly sunk down. Nyx jumped out of my bag. I shrugged at the sight of the couple apple I had collected from before we went onto the river. They might be a little soft but still good. 

I glanced back at the group.

"I don't have the food."

"What?"

I'd just wait till' they were done, this would be fun to watch.

"You had one job: carry your stale human food. How could you leave it?"

"You rushed us!"

Callum accused pointing a finger at her.

"You were yelling at us, and I just..."

He trailed off trying to find the right words.

"You made me leave it."

"Oh. That's right. Because I remember yelling three things. "Hurry, hurry!" "Let's go, go ,go." and "Be sure to abandon all the supplies you need to survive.""

I stifled a snort of laughter. Ezran spoke up worried.

"What are we going to do?! We're out of food." 

"Well, I suppose I'd be willing to share my moonberry juice with you."

She stood up. 

"It's packed with super nutrients, and I still have plenty-"

Her face turned furious as she pulled out and empty bottle.