'The usual..you called..anything particular?'
She asked, sounding hesitant.

'Yes, actually..'
Rick paused.
'We got off to a bad start from our first meeting..so, I thought we could rectify that..'

Serena listened with her mouth agape.
'Excuse me??'

'Yes..let me make it up to you..'
His voice was soft, almost seductive, and Serena felt her heartbeat quicken.

'Make it up to me? How? I mean, why??'
She rolled her eyes at herself.

'There is no why, but there is a how..'
She could hear the amusement in his voice.
'Have dinner with me?'

Serena couldn't have been more surprised.
'Wha..! You..dinner..me..'
She spluttered, before realising how stupid she was sounding. She cleared her throat.
'Dinner? Why would you want to have dinner with me? Your enemy right now?'

Rick paused a couple of seconds, before he spoke again.
'I did say I wanted to rectify that. Let's call it a truce of sorts..'

Serena was having trouble understanding his sudden request.
From accusing each other, to going out for dinner?
Rick Malone was not being his usual self, and suddenly, she wanted to know why.
'Alright..'

'Excuse me?'
This time, he was the one sounding surprised, and Serena smirked.

'I said alright!'

'Yes, yes! I heard that! So, that's great! I'll pick you up tonight..'

'Tonight?'
Serena almost squeaked.

'Is that not a good idea? How about tomorrow then?'
He asked.

'Uh..yeah..okay..'
Serena replied.

'Great! So I'll pick you up at say..sevenish?'

'You don't need to pick me up, I can reach wherever you decide..'

'I may not be your favourite person, or the brute you think I am, but I'm definitely not so ill mannered, that I let a woman go for a dinner date on her own..'

Date? Is that what the dinner was?
'Alright..I'll be ready at seven..'

'See you..'

With that Rick disconnected the call, and gave him self a mental pat on the back.
She agreed..step one...

Serena, on the other hand, was still perturbed by his call and his request.
It wasn't something she had expected him to do, and it was hard to digest.
I guess I'll find out what all this is about tomorrow..

***************************

Serena threw another outfit on the bed.
The black dress was too dressy, the off white dress too clingy.
She sighed in frustration.
She didn't want to give him the wrong impression by over dressing, neither did she want to look like she had no outfits for a restaurant.

Serena yelped as she saw the time. It was already 6:30, and she still had made no decision.
Lifting a royal blue dress from those strewn over her bed, Serena hurriedly put it on, throwing the towel she had wrapped around herself after her shower, on a chair near the bed.

Living on the beach had taught her to dress minimally, so she just put on some black eyeliner, and a light pink lipstick. Tying her hair back at the nape with a clasp, she stepped back to see her image.
The dress suited her, the frilled neckline and short sleeves, showing off her lightly tanned arms. The dress had a full skirt, that ended below her knees, leaving her lower legs bare.
Putting on small silver hoops in her ears, and a silver bangle on one arm, Serena dabbed on some perfume.

Her phone rang. It was him.

'Good evening. I'm here. Should I come up?'
His voice was clear.

The thought of him coming up and seeing her private space was a bit daunting, and she quickly denied him.
'No! No! I'm ready! I'll come down..'

'Alright, sure!'

Thank God, he didn't insist.
Serena quickly slipped on her silver heels, and felt a bit weird in them. It had been ages since she had needed to wear them, preferring comfortable sandals or sneakers for daily wear.
But, it also felt good to know that she could still handle them well.
She hurried out with a clutch, locking her apartment, and climbing down the stairs, a tad slow due to the heels, ofcourse.

Since the restaurant was facing the sea, the entrance to her apartment was in the back.
There was a side entrance, and she left through that.
As soon as she came out in the open, she stopped.

Because Rick had his car parked right in front, and he was standing outside, leaning against it.
Since he had been watching the door, he straightened up immediately, and began walking towards her.
To say that Serena Taylor looked beautiful was an understatement.
The woman was a stunner!
He felt himself react, before he reached her side.

'Serena Taylor, please..'

Serena frowned at him. She had been watching him as he neared, and started when he spoke.
'Sorry?'
The man was so good looking in the grey suit, that she didn't get what he was saying for a minute.

He gave her a look.
'You look..different..'

Serena raised her eyebrows at that.
'That statement can mean anything, Mr. Malone..'

'Rick..I think we are past the surnames now, don't you think?'
His tone and expression was a pointed reminder of their last meeting..or the brief kiss to be precise..

'Umm..sure..so, shall we go?'
She moved ahead.

'Someone's in a hurry..' He said under his breath, but she heard him.

Oh, yes! The sooner I discover what all this is about Rick Malone, the better...

To be continued..