Chapter Twenty

“Byron, I think you should….."

“I’m sorry," he turned to address the visibly concerned Mr. Charles. "I know I promised not to cause a scene today, but you don't expect me to just stand still while she speaks like this and crosses her boundary!”

“Byron!” the oldest Smith suddenly cautions, voice raising from his spot on the table but the younger wasn't having it.

Byron's head immediately snaps to where his father was sat as he counters loudly, "Dad!" The silence around the table was palpable, "You're going to keep acting like you didn't just hear her disrespect your wife?"

Smith's eye twitches, he struggles to keep his voice tame, "Are you trying to ruin this night like you always have?" He asks, Byron scoffs loudly at that.

"I have no intention of ruining this night or any other nights, it's not my fault if I keep getting provoked into anger. She obviously has no respect for mum and I'm not going to let her continue to speak so condescendingly about her!" He shoots back.

"Do you know how irresponsible you're acting right now?" The response comes from another side of the table this time. Cameron makes sure he meets Byron's hardened eyes with a glare of his own.

Alice looks around at both men who looked like they were about to pounce on and tear the other apart, "Oh my, well..... I never meant to cause such a mess with my words, I apolog-"

“What did you just call me?" He dares, voice icy enough to scare anyone, except his older brother, who did not seem phased in the very least as he answers.

"Irresponsible. Because that's exactly what you are. Do you know how rude you're being, in the presence of everyone? You couldn't let just this one night end on a positive note?" Cameron replies and a thick blanket of silence falls upon the room, not even the sound of breathing could be heard as both brothers glare at each other, neither willing to back down.

Midas, who had been silent the whole time, slowly raises his hand, hoping to diffuse the situation but Byron, gets a hold of his hand, dropping it back unto his thigh. "Responsible?" He chuckles humorlessly, the anger evident in his voice and expression "Do you even know what it means to be responsible?"

"I'd like to believe I know plenty about it, compared to you" Cameron lets a smirk slowly creep into his features as he said that.

"Ah, let me guess, by sitting your ass down in a chair all day yelling orders at everyone you consider inferior to you? That's your idea of responsibility?"

Cameron's expression finally twists in confusion as he asks incredulously, "What are you even talking ab-"

“I’m fucking talking about Midas! Don’t you understand?” Byron’s voice climbs higher at that, even though the sudden turn was enough to have eyes widening anew.

Cameron was officially confused, he throws the napkin on his lap down unto the table in irritation, "What has Midas got to do with any of this, you sound fucking stupid!" Byron snorts in disbelief.

“I'd say I can't believe you're missing this, but what exactly did I expect from you" his words were finished more silently than his previous tone.

Midas bites down on his lower lips, growing agitated, he grips unto Byron's bicep, "Byron, can you please sto-”

“Do you even know what I’m talking about?” Byron continues, cutting the younger off to continue his confrontation, “Do you know who Midas considers to be the most important person in this house?”

Everyone remains speechless, some from shock, others from confusion. Midas feels his jaw fall slack.

"H- how did you-?"