Chapter Two

“Did you really have to fire her?” Jack finally voices after a few minutes of walking behind Cameron, now headed towards the elevator.

“You know I don’t like people like her; people who obviously do less work and somehow expect it to magically become something tangible at the dying minute. I despise people like her, and I don’t want to hear of it anymore. She's out and that's the end of it.” He swiftly replies, not faltering in his steps as he expected the other man to be right behind him and close enough to catch his words, and he was.

A loud clattering sound was heard when they were just a few steps from the elevator, Cameron looking towards the source of the noise and almost rolling his eyes at the sight of the cleaner who had dropped most of her items, no doubt at the sight of him. She seemed to be cowering in fear as she hurriedly bends to pick them back up and Cameron finally rolls his eyes at that. He wasn't some kind of monster and she'd obviously been overreacting.

Mr Jack was rushing towards the lady before Cameron could stop him, bending down and helping her with some of the items, returning them back unto the cart.

“Are you coming or not?” He finally calls after walking into the elevator, fingers edging towards to button in an almost threatening manner, but the other man just fastens his pace, helping the lady get everything back on the cart before rushing towards the elevator where Cameron eyes him as he gets in.

“She has hands, so I’m not sure why you thought it right to go quite literally running to her aid. I mean, she was just doing her job, just like you should be doing yours" he chides just as the elevator makes a loud 'ding' sound and the doors pulled open.

“Yes, sir.” Jack replies calmly, opting not to say anything more so as not to irritate the man further.

As Cameron approached the main office, where the majority of staff were situated, he could hear the hushed whispers and rustling as everyone rushes to their seats and began working, or at least pretended to. He glances briefly at them, shaking his head but not uttering a word before walking out of the main building and towards parking.

When he walks towards his car, a guard dressed in their signature black suit was immediately there to get the door to the backseat and the CEO wordlessly gets in, followed by Mr Jack, who joins him through the other door.

The guard gets into the passenger seat and signals to the driver who starts the car and pulls them out of the underground parking lot.

.

Students poured out the lecture halls the second the professor declares the class over, tired chatter filling the once empty hallways as some of them cast curious glances at the two men in suits positioned in front of the lecture halls, the others unphased as they'd gotten used to the sight.

“Hey Midas, you wanna go grab lunch?" Diamond, the only female in the group of friends now left in the hall address the guy who had his head resting on his desk. Next to Diamond, another guy, the last one of the friend group yawns as he stretches wildly.

Midas was the last child of the Smith's family and no doubt the elder's favourite one. He was a pale skinned young man, now in his early twenties and second year in college but his fragile looking appearance would convince anyone otherwise. With his almost always pouty lips and large doe eyes, he was quite the opposite of both of his older brothers, both appearance and personality wise.

It was safe to say he was Mr Smith's favorite because of how docile he was, easily listening to his Father's suggestions and never really one for arguments. He was nowhere near being a pushover but after having to deal with two headstrong men for most of his life, Mr Smith learnt to appreciate the meekness of his last son. He had a reputation of being the softest and easygoing Smith and just like Byron, he just wanted to be free.