Chapter Eighteen

"The boss arrived with a guest who would be at dinner tonight. I thought I should let you know beforehand," Charles says from where he was sat on the opposite side from Bryon in the car.

They were on their way back home from the office and the older thought it would be the perfect time to reveal the news.

Byron scoffs, pulling on the tie around his neck till it comes lose and tossing it on the car seat, "Why would I need to know that in advance. It's not like it's the first time Dad appears with one" he says dismissively.

Charles faces Byron with a corner of his lips raising as he says, "I thought you'd understand what I meant by 'guest' this time that it isn't any ordinary visitor. Anyways, It's a woman and I think they're pretty serious, so we're looking at a potential lady of the house. He broke the news to us, the senior staffs on the groupchat earlier today and I'm telling you now because I don't want you to be caught off guard later on"

The words finally catch all of Byron's attention and he repositions on his seat, facing Charles with a frown, "What? Are you saying Dad's gonna get married to this lady he's bringing home?!" He sounds scandalized and Charles fight back a sigh.

"Brought, Byron, they're already home. And I never said that, I just said they're in a relationship and it must be serious if he's brought her to meet you all" Charles explains and Byron had that annoyed look again, accompanied with another scoff.

"I can't believe him. Didn't he go on and on about making a promise to Mom to take care of us without any distractions"

"I think you should try to remain calm," Charles starts, trying to reason with the other, "it's been years since madame passed and the boss is only human too. Needing companionship is only natural"

"Whether he gets remarried or not is obviously his problem, not mine. But, he made a promise to Mum. He acted like he was going to stick by it. He made me, no- us, believe that Mum was his everything and now he's just going to go back on those words? If that doesn't prove just how untrustworthy he is, I don't what would" his words were fueled with rage and knowing him, Charles could also see the sadness mixed in this words.

Charles chooses to remain silent after that, not wanting to upset him further as they continued their ride home in silence with Byron staring out the window with his jaw clenched.

.

"Dad did what?" Cameron, who was in his office, slowly rises from his seat, his confused and narrowed eyes fixed on Mr. Jack as he waited for an answer to his question.

"He informed us earlier today and I was going to relay it to you on the way to work this morning, but I decided to leave it till the end of the day since I knew it could cause a distraction. I apologize for informing you so late" Mr. Jack explains with a bow of his head and Cameron scoffs in disbelief.

"Dad is bringing a new woman into the house? Wow..... Just unbelievable" he remarks, slowly going back into his seat.

Mr Jack takes several steps closer, seeing as Cameron's general mood had changed, he had his head in his hands and was speaking again, "I don't even know what it is I should be thinking right now, my heart just....feels so heavy right now, Jack. If I feel this way, I can't even imagine how Mum would feel with this. He made a promise and is breaking it, Jack, do you understand what I'm saying?" When he looks up at the suited older man for an answer, he is met with nothing other than a solemn look, "I used to think he was going to break it earlier on, you know? But at a point, I saw he was holding unto it pretty well and I believed him, I convinced myself that it was never going to happen, that he was never going to replace my mother. He was holding that promise up for so long, what changed? Why now? Why bring in a new woman all of a sudden?" Cameron silently asks, mainly to himself.