Immortal - Part 13 - Howard x Reader

"I can't believe that you had this whole place closed down just for us.........." (Y/n) chuckled, as Howard pulled out the chair for her. The waiter nodding respectfully, before placing the napkin over her lap.

"Nothing like flashing the cash, Mister Stark........." She added, as Howard took a seat next to her. Giving her one of those all too familiar and much loved smiles.

"What? I thought that we deserved a night off. Given all the hard work we've been doing. I thought a nice meal out, was the least we deserved.........." Howard countered. The smile never leaving his lips, as he reached up and pushed a curl away from her face.

"Have I ever told you how beautiful you are.............?"

"Yes..........but you can tell me again. I do so like to hear you say it." (Y/n) replied, her breath catching in her throat, as Howard leaned in and whispered softly into her ear. Her skin tingling as his lips brushed against her flesh.

"You, my wonderful immortal, are the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. And I love you....................." Howard told her, before kissing her on the neck.

It was true that she knew that Howard cared for her. She cared for him; that this wasn't the first time that he had told her that he loved her. But each time he did, the immortal found it hard to believe that he had actually said it. A part of her overjoyed that the words had left his mouth; but then it made a bigger part of her ache.

She had had lovers over the years; she had had more lifetimes than she ever wanted to try and work out, and had met her fare share of men that she had been drawn to; but she had never got close enough to them to say that she had fallen in love, especially knowing that she only had a limited amount of time with them. That if she stayed too long, those questions would begin; those questions that she didn't want to answer. But with Howard it had been different; he knew what she was, he had come to find her. He had wanted to draw on her experience, knowledge; to see if all the years of wisdom could help him achieve all his plans. And the fact that he had known that she was an immortal, that she had never had to lie to him, had allowed her to feel as though she could open up. Had allowed them to talk more freely; so that that could come to understand one another better and get closer than she had ever got to anyone before.

"And I would tell you that you are the most wonderful, and handsome man that I have ever met..........but your head is big enough as it is, Mister Stark. Though I do love you too............." The immortal replied, as she rested her forehead against his. Always finding it hard to believe that she too was able to say such a thing; but glad that she could. (Y/n) still aware that however much she hoped; no matter how much Howard might want it, one day they would have to part. That one way or another, she would lose him and have to live the rest of her days without him. But she didn't want to ruin this evening and think about such sad things. She just wanted to enjoy her time with Howard. She wanted to enjoy each and every minute that they could have together.

"Of course you do.............how could you not............" Howard replied with a chuckle. The chuckle turning into a hearty laugh, as the immortal slapped him playfully on the arm.

"You know...........after we've found the perfect candidate for Project Rebirth, you and I could maybe go somewhere like we've been planning on doing for years. We could disappear for a while; buy a ranch or a farm where we.........I could grow old with you. Somewhere where no one will ask questions. Somewhere where no one will ask me why I have a beautiful young wife, when I am a white haired old man. Somewhere we can really start trying for that son we keep talking about............little Anthony. A son that will have the beauty and brains of his mother..............."

"And the cockiness and swagger of his father..............." (Y/n) interrupted, with a chuckle, as Howard brough her hands, on which he had placed a ring some time ago, to his lips, kissing it softly.

She didn't know why she had said yes when Howard had asked her to marry him. He had never seemed like the kind of man for that. He had a bit of a reputation as far as the ladies were concerned, that he had never tried to conceal; but he had been so sincere when he had got down on one knee. He had smiled so broadly when he had waited for an answer, that her heart had not allowed her to say no; even though they both knew deep down that it was a foolish idea that would never come to anything. But she had quickly found that saying no to Howard Stark was an impossibility.

"I...........I would like that, Howard. We could get horses and I could teach him how to ride. I could show him how the Mongols would fire arrows while at full gallop. I could tell him about the rise and fall of empires. About the Seven Wonders of the World. About Kings and Queens, and all the other things that I have seen.................."

"And what would I teach him................?" Howard interjected, as he took both of her hands and held them tight.

"You? Oh, you could teach him how to be a Stark. Although I think that would just come naturally. I believe it is in the blood.............." The immortal said sarcastically, before closing her eyes, as Howard leaned in to kiss her.

"Señor Stark................." A voice suddenly came; the pair turning to see the owner of the restaurant hoping to get a picture. (Y/n) kissing Howard on the cheek and letting him place his hand lovingly over the ring, before they posed. The flash from the camera almost blinding....................

                                                          >>-------------------------------------<<

Suddenly she woke. Her hand quickly gripping at the ring that hung on the long necklace. It was all a dream...........a wonderful dream. The immortal brushing the tears from her eyes, as she pushed back the bed clothes and placed her feet on the floor. It wasn't the first time that she had had a dream of Howard; but after seeing that old picture, it had all come flooding back. (Y/n) looking down at the ring in her palm. The day that she had had to leave him, she had placed it on the chain. She had promised herself that she would never be without it; and when he had died, it had become more important. It the one thing that she would never leave behind; that would go with her everywhere. The sound of the five o'clock alarm that she had set, making her jump a little as it rang out. The immortal shaking the dream from her mind, as she made her way to the shower, preparing herself for what she believed was going to be a very long day.