Immortal - Part 12 - Steve x Tony x Bruce x Reader

The immortal made her way back to her rooms; again, believing that she had made a mistake in listening to Fury. She should have just turned the director away when he turned up on her doorstep. Told him that he had lost his mind when he started to talk about an immortal, and sent him on his way. She should have just packed everything and vanished into the night as she had done so many times before. But no, she had listened to the man in black; he had appealed to her desire to use her immortality for the greater good. He had told her that the Avengers, that the first Avenger and the son of the man that had helped create him, would find her of use. That she could show and teach them so many things. Yet what she had already ended up doing, was hurting one of them. She had hurt the captain, and that was not her intention.

She was used to lying to people about who and what she was; people that she was around, men that she............but this was different. Those people, when she moved on, she knew that she would never have to face again; that they would pass on, and she would just get on with her new life as if it were her first. But this.........this was something different. Lying to Tony and Steve had actually.........well, hurt; had made her feel so guilty, that she actually felt sick. (Y/n) suddenly stopping and taking a seat on the sofa in front of the large window that revealed the rest of the brightly lit compound.

She could understand Steve wanting her to be that woman. Wanting her to be the one that had been at the camp, that had followed him through the training; that had been there and watched as he turned from a small, frail, young man, into Captain America. She could understand him needing a connection; needing someone else that had seen those times, had known the people that he had known. Someone, that just like sergeant Barnes, he could talk to, when he felt low. But admitting that the black and white, blurry face was actually her, and not her "grandmother", would mean that more explanations were needed; would mean more lies. And it would open a whole new kettle of fish when it came to Tony too. For if she were the woman in Steve's photo, that would mean that she was the woman pictured with Howard also. She would have to somehow explain that she and Tony's father had been an...........item. That if it were not for the fact that she was an immortal, she would have happily wed Howard long before he had met Tony's mother. The notion that the woman that he had just had a dinner date with, had once been his father's lover, not going to make things easy between them. Especially given that she had already come to very much like Tony. But would the fact that she hadn't confessed, make things worse if the truth ever came out?

"Is everything alright..............?" A soft voice suddenly enquired. The immortal looking up to see a concerned appearing Doctor Banner.

"Oh, um, Doctor Banner. I'm........I'm fine, thank you. I was having dinner with Tony, and.........well, I think that perhaps the food was a little rich for me. I felt a little sick.............."

"Do you need anything..............?" Bruce enquired. The immortal unable to stop herself from smiling at the very sweet man.

"No, no.........I er, I think I have some pepto in my bag, but thank you anyway........." (Y/n) replied, as she got to her feet; nodding respectfully to the doctor, before turning to continue on her way.

"le Faye............." Bruce suddenly said, the immortal turning back to look at him.

"It's an interesting name................."

"I suppose. You obviously know it means, the fairy. It is a name that is guaranteed to excite anyone with an interest in Arthurian lore. I should know, I have had more than one tell me all about Morgan; how she was a sorceress, a witch. To some, she was the benevolent elder sister of Arthur, who protected him with her magic. To others, she was his greatest enemy that did all she could to take his throne and was indirectly the instrument of Arthur's demise. It just depends which side you favour. There are those that believe she was the lover of Merlin and Accolon; that she was a predatory sexual figure, who used her womanly ways to control men. But in the end, was the one that took her brother's body to Avalon............."

"And she was also said to be immortal............." Bruce interrupted. His brows furrowing, as the agent in front of him began to laugh.

"Ah, immortality. The holy grail. The thing that a lot of people seem to be interested in the most..........living forever. Yes, it was written that she was the immortal queen of Avalon. Personally, I think that immortality is overrated, don't you, Doctor Banner? Admittedly, it might be a good thing in this line of work; but in the long run, never dying, never growing old, while all those around you wither and pass, can't be fun........can it? Watching on, as everyone that you have ever known and loved, leave you. No. Just one lifetime is all you really need; you enjoy it because you know that at any minute it could end. If you ask me, immortality is more a curse than a gift. So, I am quite happy that I don't take after Morgan." (Y/n) explained, before looking at her watch.

"Well, I should let you get on with what you were doing, Doctor Banner. I am sure that you have more important things to be getting on with, than listening to me. And, as I told Tony, it's been a long day, so I should be getting some sleep. I am sure that the rest of the team will want to put me through my paces in the morning. Thank you for checking on me.......... goodnight..........." The immortal added, giving Bruce a smile, before turning on her heels and heading down the corridor.