CHAPTER FIFTEEN

DAVINA'S POV.

Things had been quite awkward between Adrian and I, but it was mostly my fault. Every time I saw him making  a call, my heartbeat would double with the fear that Bella might be the one he was talking to.

The only time I was really calm was when he was sleeping or when he wasn't around…like now.

My chest pain had been getting worse lately and I suspected that it was due to my excessive thinking, but I couldn't help it. 

I was constantly worrying about Bella telling Adrian what happened and at the same time, I was worried about Bella. 

She looked thin and pale, like she hadn't been eating well…although it was probably because of the illegal substance she had started taking.

There was a knock on the door and I knew  it wasn't Adrian because his knocking pattern was different. I opened the door without asking and saw Bella standing there. "What do you want Bella?" She was looking much paler than her last visit.

"Now now Davina, is that any way to speak to your older sister?"

"All my sisters are dead." I tried to sound as cold as she did but it didn't seem to have any effect on her. I can't believe how distant we've become.

"Well then, since there's no relation between us, this will be easy. I need three thousand dollars right now, but don't worry... this is the last time. After today, you won't see me here again."

"No." I had had just about enough of Bella's demands. I was sick and tired of letting her extort my mistake.

"No?"

"You heard me. I have no money to give to you."

"You're joking."

"Does it look like I am? I am done. Bella, within the space of five days, you have collected nothing less than ten thousand from me. Do you think I pick the money from the ground? Do you have any idea how hard it is for me to raise the money?"

"No. And honestly, I don't give a fuck. Need I remind you what is on the line if you refuse me?"

"I made a mistake, and you know it. I have never cheated on Adrian and I never would have if you had just been there for me. 

Mom just died and I was alone. The twins weren't with me, Adrian was away and even you didn't have time for me. I was heartbroken, I needed someone to talk to...or someone to just hold me...but all my family were away. 

Yes, I made a mistake. I should have just stayed home that night, then none of this would have happened but I just...I didn't want to be alone in this huge house. It felt like I was alone in the world."

"Wow, look at you bragging about your big house even when you're sad."

"Can you be serious please? Bella, don't do this. I'm your sister, the only family you have left in this world. We're supposed to be together as one. Please, stop doing this."

"I thought all your sisters died."

"Bella–"

"Look, I don't give a shit about the good-for-nothing tale you just sprouted. Just go in, get me my cash, and I'll be out of your hair."

"Bella–"

"Did you forget that I have Adrian's phone number? I could call him right now and with just one word, I can ruin your little marriage."

"Bella please,"

"I thought I told you not to step foot in my house ever again."

As I heard Adrian's voice, my heart almost stopped. I didn't even hear him open the door. 

"Oh, it's good that you're here. Davina owes me some money and she said you'd pay it on her behalf. So, come on."

"Get out of my house." I don't I had ever seen Adrian so angry. "Leave now or I'll call the cops."

"Before I leave, there's something you should know."

"I don't care, just leave while I'm still being nice."

"Did you know what your precious little wife did when you were out of town?"

"Do you have cotton in your ears? I just said I don't care."

"She slept with another man. And I'm sure she enjoyed it too."

"Bella, please just leave."  I tried to keep myself from crying but it was impossible. I didn't know what would happen between us after this, and he was probably even more angry that I had hidden it from him.

"This little slut you call a wife has a body count of probably twenty...no wait, maybe thirty, or more."

"Bella stop!" I tried to raise my voice but I couldn't, instead I felt a piercing pain in my chest again, almost like I was stabbed. Whenever I was hurt or angry, I always felt a piercing pain in my chest but it had never been this worse. 

"Davina, are you okay?" The anger in Adrian's eyes immediately dissipated as he rushed to where I was kneeling.

"I'm sorry Adrian, I'm...sorry." I couldn't say more and he just held me close to his body.

•••••••••••••••••••

 When I opened my eyes, I was on a hospital bed and Adrian was next to me. He wasn't staring at anything in particular but his expression was hard. 

"Adrian..?" When he turned to me, his expression softened and he smiled so tenderly at me.

"Hey love, how are you feeling?" His voice was gentle as he spoke.

"I'm sorry, Adrian. I should have never kept my past from you."

"Shh, you need to rest. We can talk later."

"No please, let me say it." He nodded slightly and I sat up. "Bella was telling the truth. Before I met you, I used to work as a…you-know-what."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I was ashamed. My childhood was shitty as hell, and when I met you I thought it was a chance for me to leave it all behind me…I'm really sorry."

"It's okay, I just wish I had heard it from you and not her."

"When I was about one or so, my dad had a car accident…and he died. My mom used to blame me for his death because he was rushing home from work after he heard that I wasn't feeling well. 

My mom remarried after a while but the hatred was still there, my step dad was the one who showed me love. In fact, when mom got a job, he was the only one left to cater for me and my other sisters. 

But he ruined it.

I lost my virginity to my step dad when I was twelve, there was no one I could talk to, no one I could turn to for help, so I just endured it all."

As I narrated my whole childhood to Adrian, he just sat there, staring intensely at me. When I mentioned the part where I was looking for the money to save Bella's life, he looked angry, then it changed and he looked like he was about to cry.

"I'm so sorry." Was all he could manage after I was done.

"And about the one night stand–"

"It's cool. I'm not mad at you Davina. I'm sorry I wasn't there when you needed me."

"I love you."

"I love you more Davina."