CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Davina sat alone in her bedroom, Adrian was supposed to be back two days ago but he still hadn't returned, and what was worse was that he wasn't picking his calls. It was never like him to ignore her calls, even if he was busy, he would text her.

She picked up her phone and decided to dial his number again and it was the same. It rang for a while but there was no answer.

She heard the doorbell ring and she shot up. She quickly made her way downstairs and rushed to open the door, expecting to see her husband's smiling face but instead Bella was the one she saw.

"You look disappointed." She said as she walked in uninvited.

"No, it's not that. It's just that Adrian was supposed to be here two days ago and he's not back yet. He's not even returning any of my calls."

"Maybe he went off with another girl." Bella said, unconcerned. "Anyway, that's not why I'm here."

"Well, why are you here?"

"I need money." She said simply, staring at Davina.

"So? Why are you telling me?"

"You're going to give it to me."

"It's not my first time of helping you out and you know it. Bella, I told you that you can always come to me if you need anything, and I'll try my best to help you out. We're sisters, and—"

"Yeah, yeah spare me all that sister talk. I need two thousand dollars right now."

"What?" Davina thought she didn't hear her correctly but when Bella repeated the amount, she realized that she did. "Where the hell am I supposed to get two thousand dollars? And what could you possibly need that amount of money for?"

"Are you questioning me? Davina, have you forgotten so soon?"

"Forgotten what?"

"Does Adrian know you used to be into prostitution?"

"Bella! How can you say something like that? You know what led me to that kind of life, why should you try to extort me because of it?"

"You don't have the amount I asked for... Fine. Then I need five hundred dollars right now, and you can't say no."

"Bella—"

"No talking. Just give me the money, or I call Adrian right now and tell him you had a one night stand with a random guy."

Davina was speechless. Of all the terrible things her sister had said and done to her, she never believed that she could try to blackmail her. "What? Bella... I... I trusted you, I confided in you because I believed that you're my sister... And no matter how much we may fight, that you still have my best interest at heart."

"Well I guess you were wrong then."

Davina couldn't believe the person her sister had become. The person that was her best friend... Her only friend. "I... I don't even know you anymore."

"Pay up sister, time's wasting."

Davina went back upstairs and got the money for her. "Just remember Bella, if you take this money, that would mean that we're no longer sis—" Bella didn't let her finish her sentence before grabbing the money from her hand.

"Nice doing business with you Mrs Raines. I'll be back for my balance."

As Davina watched her sister walk out the door, she was finally able to arrive at a decision. The Bella she knew was gone.

She didn't want to admit it before but now, it was as clear as day. She had no family left in this world.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Adrian! You're back." Davina's eyes widened as she saw her husband at the door.

"You sound surprised, was I not supposed to come back?"

"Oh, don't be silly. I missed you." Davina threw her arms around him and he held her close. "You were supposed to be back three days ago, what happened? I called and texted but I didn't get a reply." She complained as she untangled herself from him.

"You did? Huh... that's strange."

"What is?"

"I didn't see any missed calls or texts. I even felt bad that you didn't check on me."

"Is that even possible? I called you every day but you never answered."

"It's probably an issue with the network or so, because I also tried calling you and it didn't go through."

"Ohh...anyway, you're back now and that's all that matters. Come on, let's go upstairs. You need to shower and relax."

"And eat, I'm starving."

"Okay, I'll make you something." She took his suitcase and they went upstairs together.

"Hey, did you hear from Bella?"

"Bella?" Panic shot through her as she heard her name. She hadn't seen her since the day she visited their house. "Uh...no. I haven't. Did...did uh...did she call you?"

"No. Why would she?"

"Of course, why would she? She has no reason to call you. That was a stupid question to ask."

"Are you okay?" Adrian asked as he noticed her uncalm behavior.

"Yes of course, why wouldn't I be?"

"I don't know, you just seem—"

"I should go...to the kitchen. Uh what would you like to eat?" She tried to change the subject but Adrian still seemed skeptical.

"Anything is fine."

"Okay. I'll be back." She turned to leave but he stopped her. "What is it?"

"My suitcase?" He pointed to the luggage with her and she giggled awkwardly.

"Right. Here you go." She shoved the bag to him and rushed down the stairs, not stopping till she was in the kitchen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Adrian, don't be difficult. Just do what I want and we can both be happy."

"Jane, I thought I already told you that I can't cheat on my wife."

"Yeah but your wife doesn't seem to have any problem cheating on you."

"What? What are you talking about?"

"First let me ask you this, do you know what your wife was into before you married her?"

"She was working with me."

"No, before then."

"I don't know."

"Your precious little wife was a call girl." Jane said, the excitement in her voice coming out a bit obvious.

"A call girl?"

"Yeah, you know, a lady of pleasure?"

"I don't follow."

"Oh for the love of God, she was a prostitute! She sold her body for money. Now, do you understand?"

"What? I don't believe you. She would have told me."

"Oh, you mean just how she would have told you that she had a one night stand with a stranger?"

"Okay, now you're just making things up."

"Wish I was. You can ask her if you think I'm lying to you. I told you, I can make you happy. I can treat you far more better than she can, just give me a chance."

Adrian was still having a hard time digesting what he just heard. He wasn't even aware that Jane had moved to seat next to him until he felt her hand on his chest.

"Jane stop. Let's say you're right about this, it still doesn't change a thing. I love my wife and I can't cheat on her, I'm sorry." He excused himself and Jane was upset that her plan didn't work out this time either.

All through the drive home, Adrian couldn't stop thinking about what she said. Why would Davina keep her past from him? And could she really be cheating on him?