Chapter 57: Escape

They ran for a while. The other Gladers kept pace for a little, but soon the non runners slowed down and the group started to spread out. Newt insisted he was fine, running at the back 'to make sure no one was left behind'. Alex knew his leg was bugging him, but she didn't say anything. Everyone ran in silence, the nerves of what they had to do next were rising. Alex looked around her at the faces of the boys, they were all mixed with determination and fear. Alex glanced behind her. She saw Matt near the back, he caught her eye, grinned and flashed a thumbs up. She grinned back. She only then noticed Chuck was really far behind.

"I'm going to run with Chuck." She said between breaths. Minho nodded. Alex slowed down, Bark following her. She kept pace with her little friend.

"Hey chuckles. How are you holding up?" He just shrugged. He was breathing really hard, his chubby face red. She looked back at him, she could see the fear, but he was trying very hard to be brave. He was such a good kid.

"Chuck. I love you." Alex blurted out.

Chuck came to an abrupt halt and looked at her confused, then a big smirk appeared on his face.

"Are you gonna kiss me like you kiss Minho? I've heard from some of the guys that it gets a little spiiiiiiicy!" He winked at her. "You might want to break up with your other Boyfriend first!"

Alex laughed so loud that from the front Thomas and Minho turned to see what was up. Matt also glanced over and slowed down and jogged iver. The prankster trio, her original trio. Her pinky swear pact boys.

"Ha! Chuckles! You're HILARIOUS!" She said dryly. "I MEANT, like a little brother, ya shank! I love you like my little brother. You too Matt! Seriously! When we get out, I'll help you find your parents! We'll see if you have siblings, Matty Pie!"

She promised. Chuck hugged her around the waist, and buried his face into her shoulder. Alex wrapped him up in a hug, and pulled Matt into the hug.

"Group hug!" Matt whispered. She could tell he was trying to keep up his easy carefree joking self, but it was cracking, he was scared.

"Thank you Alex! Thank you for being my friend. If I ever had a sister, I hope she would be like you." Chuck smiled up at her.

"Well, even if I don't have any siblings. Alex...you are mine. Thank you, for everything. Saving my life. Helping me through Ben's thing...and just...being my friend."

Alex smiled as a tear tried to leak out, she had a hand on each of their cheeks. "Any time Chuckles. And my Matty Pie! Now let's go kick some Griever butt!"

They ran to catch up with the group.

The Gladers finally made it to the blades. The non runners were turning in circles, mouths open.

"Come on! Move! We're almost there!" Minho yelled from the front. Alex and Newt ushering them all forwards, making sure no one was left behind.

They took the last corner and slowed to a stop. All the Gladers were breathing hard. Alex, with Bark beside her, made her way to the front, where Thomas, Minho, Newt and Teresa were gathered. Thomas peeked around the corner and pulled his head back fast. The blood drained from his face.

Not a good sign!

"Is there a Griever?" Chuck piped up from the back.

"Yeah." Thomas breathed.

"Well we knew we were going to have to fight. Bloody creators weren't going to let us waltz out of here!" Newt remarked.

"Wow. Thank you Captain Obvious. You've been hangin' with Tommy too long." Alex deadpanned.